Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you heard of Japanese Wakame Drops?
Ellygator posted:
Hi everyone!

I am posting here because I am worried. My mother recently purchased this "Japanese Wakame" drops which you put in water and drink 5-10 minutes before eating your meals. It apparently helps you lost weight, however is not FDA tested, which worries me. I've done a bit of research myself on this but couldn't find anything on side effects. I do know wakame seaweed is full of iodine, and research says an imbalance of it or too much of it can affect your thyroid somehow. I am unclear of the amount of iodine in this bottle, if any at all. The bottle says it's produced by Sino-American Knowlton Laboratories, and is distributed by Wakame, located in Bridgeport, CT.

The bottle's active ingredients contain: aloe barbadensis leaf (aloe vera gel) juice, undaria pinatifida (wakame) extract. Other ingredeints: Aqua (deionized water), glycerin, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, acesulfame-K, Flavor.

If any of you have tried this, or are more informed about this than I, any information is welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Elly, It's understandable to be skeptical of non FDA approved suppliments. And you were right about the iodine content that you'd heard about.... I went searching and found this site
http://www.thyroidresearchjournal.com/content/4/1/14

If you are well and truly concerned about what your mother is taking, just as with starting a new diet, before starting new and suspect suppliments, one should ALWAYS get a check up first. Have the urine tested and the basic blood run too. That way, you and the doctor can keep tabs on specific counts, like iodine in the urine , that may in fact run amok during the time she uses these suppliments.
This seaweed is used in a lot of things, miso soup included and yes the Japanese eat a whole bunch of it... but our western diets are far richer and more diverse than most every other country. We don't necessarily HAVE to eat seaweed to get our nutrients. For whatever reason, your mother wants to try it, get armed with the facts and her medical readouts. It may or may not benefit her. A lot of supplimentation is "mind over matter" based. Placebo effect in other words.
But don't discount them just because the beneficial effects are all in a person's mind. Belief in "something" can,sometimes,truly heal what ails you.
huggs
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Sunshinz60 responded:
Hi, But is it working????

deonnajackson23 responded:
Hello im deedee i seen ur post abt the Japanese drops they wirk and i wanna know if u still have any way of ordering any or have a number to call them

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.