Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

"How Wheat (and Gluten) Triggers Weight Gain, Prediabetes, Diabetes and More"?
BigDaddyMatty posted:
This website (which was recommended to me) claims that the wheat we eat today "Triggers Weight Gain, Prediabetes, Diabetes and More" because:

1.) It contains a Super Starch — amylopectin A that is super fattening.
2.) It contains a form of Super Gluten that is super-inflammatory.
3.) It contains forms of a Super Drug that is super-addictive and makes you crave and eat more.

Is there any truth to this assertions? Thanks.

Rf. http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/02/13/three-hidden-ways-wheat-makes-you-fat/

PetuniaPea responded:
I know that in my situation, it was making me bloated so much so that it LOOKED like I was heavier. When I stopped eating wheat gluten years ago, I felt that I DID lose weight, maybe because I was replacing it with healthy foods like brown rice, fruits and veggies.

However, regarding your post, I wouldn't put it past the food industry. They care about profits, not our healths. They have been modifying wheat for decades so that they can produce more, and produce it rapidly. From what I heard on the Dr. Oz show, ancient wheat is more in line with us being able to easily digest. The current wheat that's out on the market has been changed so much, it's causing way more insensitivities and intolerances in people.

One warning if you go gluten free. I started to gain weight after indulging in gluten free junk food! Cookies, chips, candy, etc! Sugar is addictive, so beware!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
195 of 240 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.