Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
What do I do?
Integrity0911 posted:
Dr. Peeke, I am 53, I weight 365, I have been over weight my whole life. I am a truck driver, I work 16 to 18 hours a day. I am ready to get the weight off, what do I do? Thanks for your help.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Integrity,
I'm just a fellow blogger, hope you won't be disappointed if I step in for a moment.
First off, Welcome to our community! So glad that you could join us and really glad that you are ready to try to get healthier. In spite of your job
Ok, so I'd like to point you to our Food and Fitness Planner. Just type it into the search bar at the top and fill one in. Make sure you put in that your daily exercise output is at the LOWEST possible choice. This will help the chart best determine how many calories and how much exercise you should shoot for daily. This is a good tool to use because it has a lot of the foods that you normally eat already in the system so all you have to do is clik and drag. Or you add your own "special Meals" that you break down by ingredient, log into the area then once you have them all listed, you hit save as fave and then you can name your meal and use it as needed.
If you don't like the charter on WebMD there is also one on Fitday.com that is good. If you decide to be a blogger here, it's sorta easier and more convenient to use this one.
As a long haul OTR driver you are a bit stuck on how to exercise. You will have to work in a couple of decent walks a day. Park your rig the furthest from the rest rooms, and restaurants that you can. If you don't have to go IMMEDIATELY, walk arount the whole rest area before you head to the , er, "head" so to speak. You need a brisk 30 min walk or light job, two or three times a day. and NO I'm not kidding. When else are you gonna be able to fit it in with your job? I know, I drove long haul for the orange trucks (u know who) for 3 months solo and just couldn't take the solitude anymore, lol.
Now for food, you should either have a small fridgee in your truck or you will have to eat as best you can from the restaurants. Best way to do the eat out meals is either buy the kids meals or select from the "senior " selections as they are smaller meals to begin with. They can't tell you u can't have it, you're the customer and you are ALWAYS right..... stay well away from all you can eat bars.
And sweety drink 64 oz (thats half a gallon) of water every day.
Log and blog, because support helps. drink your water, watch your meal sizes , WALK and walk and walk.....
I'm part of the 50-100 lb diet community here on WMD and we invite all newcomers and help whenever and wherever we can. Join us over there if you don't mind a buncha girls tellin you what for! lol. Really though, we've got about 4 or 5 reg members that have lost over 100 lbs and some have been in maintenance for years and still come to the daily bull sessions.
Join us.
Huggs
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi integrity - You just took the first step by posting here - I know you can find a way to get healthy and lose weight!

As usual, Kim has some great suggestions to get your started! Here is a direct link to the planner she mentioned: WebMD Food & Fitness Planner .

We had a post about weight loss and truck driving a few months ago. Our expert, Dr. Pam Peeke, had some great suggestions for eating on the road here: Healthy Foods for Truck Drivers .

A new analysis just published has some troubling information for all of us who sit to work: Sitting Too Much May Lead to Diabetes, Heart Disease I know you can't drive a truck standing up! Are you able to get in some walking or other exercise to get you moving a few times a day?

Please keep coming back for information and motivation - I know you can do it!

Haylen

Integrity0911 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
What kind of protein shake is the best? I am gone 5 to 6 days a week. Any other suggestion is Greatly Appreciated. Please keep them comming.

Integrity0911 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you for your comments & suggestions.

PetuniaPea responded:
I know you didn't ask me the question, but I think whey protein powder is the best. It's the healthiest stuff in cow's milk that the dairy industry REMOVES from milk that's put on the grocery store shelves! More info at www.wheyoflife.org .

I'm phasing into becoming vegan, so I use brown rice protein powder, hemp protein powder, etc, or a container that has a ton of different plant-based protein powders. I try a new one each time I'm at Whole Foods Market or Trader Joes.

You can TRY soy protein powder at your own risk...it causes gas, bloating and other stomach issues in me...I think it's hard for my body to digest for some odd reason!

Blend the one you choose with a variety of fruits to bulk it up and make you feel full. If I just drink the protein powder with my non-dairy milk, I'm starved after just an hour. When I blend it with bananas, blueberries, etc, I'm full for a few hours!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Integrity0911 replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Thank You.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Good info Petunia. I find most protein powders to be pretty gross, honestly. Was trying to find a good one when my kid was on her "liquid only hunger strike". I'll give the brown rice a try!

H

BigDaddyMatty replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I like the protein powder from Trader Joe's...

Integrity0911 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank You.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hey there and thanks so much for your posting. I've dealt with many truck drivers and people just like you who are stuck in a sitting job and want to get healthy. Good for you for wanting to take those first steps.

Here are some easy tips for your plan of action. We always want to start the journey with small but powerful steps.

1) MIND: Get clear about why you want to do this. In my book The Hunger Fix, there's a chapter call Find Your EpiphaME. That means you need to be really clear on why you want to make any change at all. It has to be personal and enough to keep you centered and on track when the going gets tough. Just wanting to be healthy is usually not enough. Drill down on that. You want to be there to enjoy your wonderful life with kids, spouse, whatever. It's that type of driver.

2) MOUTH: You know the foods that pack on the pounds. Watch out for the sugary/fatty/salty food combos you'll find on the road. The refined and processed foods are not only unhealthy but pack on the pounds. Take along a large cooler packed with healthy and satisfying foods--- lean poultry, dairy,veggies and fruit. Have the food already prepared, You can stop at grocery stores along the way and refill your food supply. Stuffing whole wheat pita bread with turkey or chicken and veggies is a great way to go. Before you leave in the morning, make up a protein shake you'll keep in a thermos. 2 scoops of whey protein powder and skim milk and fresh or frozen berries nips cravings and hunger in the bud. Eat every 4 hours on the road. Men are famous for leaving way too much time in between meals. Watch out for late night eating. Alcohol's a problem as well. once or twice a week is fine in moderation. Anything more interferes with sleep and weight reduction.

To make it easier, you can go to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and plug in your data to get a great mountain of recipes, food plans and snack ideas that will work for you.

3) MUSCLE: When you're stuck in traffic, you can stretch in the car using elastic tubing. Go to the WebMD exercise archives and you'll see simple sitting stretches you can do anytime. When you need to make that pit stop, walk as much as you can around. Slap on your sneakers and pick up the pace a bit. Even 5 to 10 minutes can work. Make a habit out of trying to bump up the intensity each time and then adding frequency--- more pit stops. I know you have deadlines for delivery, but a stop here and there means everything to keep your metabolism rocking. On your off days you can really make it work--- weight lift and add intensity intervals to your training. you can do a lot in a shorter period of time when you add intensity.

Let me know how you're doing. Good for you for getting this going.

Dr. Peeke

zozo2020 responded:
Try starting with 12hrs diet every day, mean if you have your last meal at 7PM, don't eat before 7AM. Then replace one meal a day by veggies only. Then talk a 20mm walk every single day.
Have a Godly day.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Great info as usual Dr. Peeke!

Here's a direct link to the planner:
WebMD Food and Fitness Planner

As Dr. Peeke said, it's a fantastic resource that includes a food, fitness and water intake tracker as well as interesting "Did You Know" facts based on your profile.

Haylen

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 44 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.