Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Weight gain problem
Fatsooo posted:
I don't know what is wrong with me. I can gain 10 pounds in one day without eating 10 pounds of food. What is wrong with me?

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Fatsooo,
Something like an unexplained weightgain is usually water weight. If you eat a super high sodium diet or drink sodas and beverages that have electrolytes in them, like Gatorade, then you are getting too much sodium there. Watch what and how you eat. Read the labels and try not to eat out or eat preprocessed meats and meals as they are loaded with salt.
Fill out the Food and Fitness Planner here on WebMD, log in your stats and see what the goal calories and exercise is for your body type. Try to be religious about logging your foods and drinks here for awhile to track how you eat. I think you'll be surprised at the stuff you don't notice that you are eating.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. 10 pounds of food does not equate to 10 pounds of weight gain because not all food is the same in caloric density, and plus you do some kind of physical activity each day which impacts on calories burned as well.
Men and women can show fluctuations in weight by anywhere from 2-7 pounds or more of weight per day depending upon how tall they are, their body composition and how much they way. The majority of weight fluctuations are the shifts in water weight in the body. In order to gain one pound of fat you have to consume 3,500 calories above and beyond the calories it takes to keep you at your current weight. That's a boatload of calories.
I recommend you click on over to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and input your data and start logging exactly what you eat so that you can track your eating and activity and get to the bottom of your weight fluctuations. This works like a charm.
Once you do, and if you have questions, please shoot me a posting and we'll take it from there, OK?
Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.