Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Weight loss
ReneeS1977 posted:
I have been trying to lose weight for over a month now. I lost 5 pounds then just stopped. I have cut my food intake in half and have been drinking lots of water. I feel like there is something in my body holding me back. I have had my thyroid checked and it is normal. Is there anything else that could be causing me not to lose weight?

totallywiggedout responded:
Renee fill in the food and fitness planner and see how many calories and how much exercise it suggests that you shoot for, hon. It doesn't tell you to cut your food intake by half, and it doesn't tell you you can't have something. It's just a goal to shoot for and to stay in the range of.
Perhaps you are cutting your calories too much and your body is fighting it. Perhaps, you need to up your calories to the suggested range. Losing weight takes time. You can't do it healthfully by making your body burn more than it can. It'll start taking from your muscle and your vital organs.
Just try to slow down, and do it right, you'll have a better chance of keeping it off forever if you learn as you go and listen to your body.
huggs
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

ReneeS1977 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks...Im eating at least 1400 calories if not more...I haven't started to exercise yet...I was eating ALOT of food...snacking all day and eating big meals...I have cut out snacking and my meals are smaller. My stomach has "shrunk" because even if I try to over eat i feel sick. Im just very frustrated that im not losing anything anymore. Five pounds is a great feat but when you need to lose like 65 its minimal. I am 5' 4.5" and weigh 214...I would like to weigh about 150 I was very comfortable there years ago. I just wandered if there was anything medical that could be hindering my weight loss?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to ReneeS1977's response:
Hi Renee!

Starting some physical activity might be the key to get the needle moving down again! Walking is one of the easiest ways to get the exercise you need to stay healthy and you can start right now.

If you're interested in starting a new exercise activity, check out the WebMD Fitness & Exercise Center to find a program you'll enjoy.

However, if you do suspect a medical problem, please check in with your doctor.

Haylen

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. The answer lies in understanding many elements about your own unique story:

1) your history of weight cycling--- gaining and reducing and gaining again--- how you did it (starvation, severely restricting cals) can predict for problems shedding weight in the future
2) your current weight, gender and age
3) your total number of calories taken in (if they are less than 1200 calories, or you exercise so much that they fall below that after accounting for cals burned)--- your metabolism clamps down and it's difficult to drop weight
4) presence or lack of exercise--- clearly you can't under or overdo it without consequences

To b sure, log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and account for cals in and out as well as the time of day you're eating along with the frequency of meals and snacks throughout the day. All of these factors impact upon your ability to shed pounds.

Let us know how you're doing,

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.