Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
need to lose
deborah272 posted:
Hi I'm Deb from Minnesota 59 years old I have a lot of arthritus and bad back need to lose for my health and for ME

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Deb! Welcome to the diet community. Focusing on yourself and health is a great way to start.

How can we best support you here? Do you have a food and exercise plan you're ready to follow?

Let us know and we will cheer you on!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi Deborah and thanks so much for your posting. Lots of folks north of 50 years old have some form of arthritis, the most common of which is osteoarthritis. The key is to take small steps--- literally.

First, it's very important to check in with your medical team to make certain you have the correct diagnosis and any medical treatment and physical therapy you may need.

Second, please lot onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner to input your data and get started on a reasonable nutrition program. This planner is great because it accounts for your medical condition and the limitations in activity.

Next up is to find a physical activity you can do on a routine basis that is not painful but will keep you active. Simple walking can work. Not jogging, just walking at a moderate pace. Stationary biking is sometimes quite effective as is swimming in which you do not have to bear any weight. Having arthritis is a challenge and you need to really scope out and try out many forms of activity in order to find the one or combinations of two or more than help. Martial arts like tai chi are terrific. So also is restorative yoga and some pilates.

You do have options. Check some of these out. Be patient and I know you'll find something that works.

Let us know how you do.

Good luck,

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.