Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Day 3-Detox
celestrialgal posted:
I have started The Healthy Fix plan 3 days ago. I knew I had a problem with food at an early age. I had a hard time stopping eating while others didn't. I also couldn't control the impulses my brain were telling me. I knew my problem was bigger than just "loving" to eat. In 2010, I found out that I was a food addict and sugar was my drug of choice. I ate to not have to deal with my feelings. I have lost 30 lbs since then, but hadn't been able to kick that sugar craving. I heard about Dr. Peeke's book and was interested in her approach. I'm on day 3 now, it is extremely hard. I think about food all day long. My mind tells me I need to eat. I know if I were to give in and have pizza (a major trigger) or something with sugar, I would feel better instantly. I just don't want to give in like always. I have had headaches and I am more tired than usual. Does anyone know how long I will feel like this?

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi there and thanks so much for your posting. As you know, I wrote The Hunger Fix and I'm so glad you're taking yourself on with your issues with food and addiction. Yes, detox'ing off the False Fixes---hyperpalatables the sugary/fatty/salty food combos that hijack your brain's reward center--- is challenging. You can make it easier on yourself by doing the following:

1) You need a great support system (pets included!). It could be just one or two people who really get it with you and are supportive and nonjudgemental. You can't do this alone. We're here at WebMD to help you in any way we can so lean on all of us. Your reaching out here is terrific. But also create one close to home as well.

2) Remember the template in The Hunger Fix is to incorporate the three pillars: Mind Mouth Muscle to get you through. Are you doing any meditation? It really helps as i point out many times in the book. Go to the Appendix and look at the part about the three pillars which is my adaptation of the 12 steps. Also look at the Appendix about Healthy Voices. Create your own to knock off the self destructive ones. Are you keeping yourself busy with productive projects and activities? This keeps your mind off food. Are you eating enough protein and fiber combos to satisfy and kill those cravings? Are you getting up and doing more activity? Physical activity at a moderate level can curtails cravings and decreases the incidence of relapse.

3) Reflect on why you want to do this in the first place. Re-read the EpiphaME chapter and be clear about why it's so important to you to detox and get yourself into recovery with your food and addiction issue.

Shoot me your thoughts, and let me and everyone on this exchange be there to help you.

Keep it going,

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.