Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Need Advice on Breakfast Cereals
BigDaddyMatty posted:

My morning breakfast is typically centered around oatmeal or shredded wheat (with no sugar or salt added) and 1% cow milk. Recently I started eating puffed rice (also with zero sugar/salt) and am planning to try puffed millet as well. I don't notice any difference now that I am eating the puffed rice except perhaps that it does not keep me as full as the oatmeal or shredded wheat. On the other hand, it also has far fewer calories per cup.

Is the oatmeal, shredded wheat, puffed rice and puffed millet good choices for a breakfast cereal? Is the idea of a "wheat belly" just a bunch of hoopla? How about the 1% milk? Any insight would be appreciated.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Big Daddy Matty
I really like bran flakes 1/2 Cup then 1/4 cup each Kashi heart to heart honey toasted and great grains crunchy pecan
I use fat free milk 1/2 Cup sprinkle the cereal with a little cinnamon add a few strawberries thats my go to breakfast

I doctor my oatmeal too I get the old fashioned oats and add a bit of honey a few drops vanilla dried cranberries
and some finely chopped walnuts on top I cook the oatmeal in fat free milk with all the ingredients except the walnuts they are a garnish I sometimes cook a skinned and sliced apple in the oatmeal too finely sliced when I add the apple I add it to the pan after the oatmeal is cooked and stir in and cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

also Like soft boiled eggs on toast especially pumpernickel toast

I hope this helps some
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
I like regular or brown sugar mini wheats. The serving size is 25 little bales, which I DO actually count out, and 1 cup of Almond Silk milk.
My other "go to" cereal is Old Fashioned Rolled Oats(not quick oats) cooked in water with some solid packed pumpkin , stevia and ground cinnamon.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

brunosbud replied to totallywiggedout's response:
25 bales?...

Perfect! No need for a bowl! Just tilt head back, pour in mouth, add the milk, then, grab the car keys...

BigDaddyMatty replied to brunosbud's response:
I really don't like any sweetener with my cereal other than fruit or possibly cinnamon.

This weekend I made oat groats (oatmeal before it's rolled) in my rice cooker and I'm hooked. Oak groats with a sliced banana and some blueberries.

jis4judy replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
Matty the oat groats who sells them I have tried steel cut oats didn;t like them is it like that ?
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

BigDaddyMatty replied to jis4judy's response:
Oat groats are the whole kernel before they are rolled/cut into oatmeal. I bought some in the bulk bin at my local health food coop. Amazon has a good price on them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052OMQAG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p325_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1ZQD4A4WS11HG8S3GZ51&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

BigDaddyMatty replied to jis4judy's response:
Cereal is sort of like coffee or iced tea. Consume it without sugar for a month or two and it will become your preferred way. It's healthier that way, you save calories and you can actually taste the grain.

jis4judy replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
yes I don;t use sugars on my dry cereal and only add a tinty amount of honey to oatmeal and yogurt i also drink my coffee and tea without any sweetener I accually preffer it that way ..
thanks for the link
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

PetuniaPea responded:
BidDaddyMatty, I have just the b-fast for you! It's TRULY a whole grain breakfast. I've read in a health book that puffed grains can cause sugar spikes, even when no sugar is present! That may explain what you called a "wheat belly." And lately, the news about 1% milk and fat-free milk is this: They have more sugar (lactose) than 2% or whole milk. Think about it. They remove more fat, so what's left is more sugar in the form of lactose. Something for you to chew on...

Here's what I've been eating these past 2 months, thanks to author Kathy Freston of Veganist and The Lean (it's her idea and I just expanded on it a bit):

In a bowl, add the following:

1 cup of COLD brown rice* or quinoa or millet--all are gluten-free whole grains (cook a large amount the night before, refrigerate, and you've got enough for the week)

1/4 cup of raw almonds (Sometimes I'll have 1/3 cup of walnuts and almonds)

Chopped dates--you're hands will get sticky preparing these! (I sometimes use 2, sometimes 4 or 5 depending on the size of the dates)

If you don't want to use dates, you can add sliced bananas, raisins, or any one of your favorite fruit.

Top it off with milk, stir, and enjoy! I've been using almond milk for years and I love it! I happen to be lactose intolerant AND gluten intolerant, so I've had to find clever ways to eat a wide variety of foods!

*If you're worried about arsenic in brown rice, as has been in the news of late, rinse it well (I even soak it for a couple hours, too) and/or buy rice that's made in California (apparently the study showed that this had the least amount of arsenic).
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

BigDaddyMatty replied to PetuniaPea's response:
This is some excellent "out of the box" thinking! I make quinoa and tofu once a week for dinner and have thought about it for breakfast.

To be honest, white rice, brown rice, couscous and quinoa are all healthier than what most people consume for breakfast. I don't care for dates but I love raisins and bananas so I think I'll give it a go.

BTW, why cold? I think rice and raisins right out of the cooker with some milk and almonds would be delicious!

TheBestICanBe responded:
I also love oatmeal particularly steel cut oatmeal, however I do become bored with the same thing every day even though I tried to dress it up with berries, yogurt or whatever else inspired me in the fridge! The thing about oatmeal (the real kind) is that you get a hit of protein which keeps you full for a long time. It kind of sticks to a persons ribs. I have learned that we adults need about 100 grams of protein a day for optimum health. Because I dislike red meat which is an easy go to for protein and you would have to eat dozens of eggs to get that amount of protein I started looking at performance shakes for breakfast. I use the Vegan protein power and put that in my blender and add frozen or fresh berries, a tablespoon of non-sweetened yogurt, perhaps some frozen or fresh spinach or a beet - whatever I feel like at that moment. I get very creative!! This shake is so yummy and every day it turns out differently. The scoop of protein power I add is about 25 grams of protein. The shake keeps me very full until lunch and the calorie count is reasonable (under 300 cal). The benefits are that I am also getting in ample servings of fruits and veggies at the same time. I never thought I would be a shake person for breakfast but it has become my favorite meal of the day!!

BigDaddyMatty replied to TheBestICanBe's response:
I suspect that 100 grams of protein/day is misleading. Probably about half that for someone weighing 150 pounds.

It would be interesting to learn more about a "scoop" of vegan protein powder that contains 25 grams of protein...

PetuniaPea replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
I was addicted to breakfast cereal (not a overly-sugary one, just Cinnamon or Chocolate Chex...but I was giving up all sugar, so I thought, why not breafast cereal too, it has sugar in it even though it's the "healthier" kind) and gave it up cold turkey last December (I would eat it for breakfast AND dinner sometimes, that's how lazy I was!)

For me, when I discovered this while reading Veganist about 2 or so months ago, she mentions cold brown rice, but to use heated almond milk. Personally, I missed my morning cold cereal, so I decided to stray from her suggestion and use cold almond milk. I think hot grains and/or hot milk would be equally as tasty.

Then in her (Kathy Freston) latest book, The Lean, she had a recipe for a nice hot quinoa breakfast with chopped apples among other things (maybe raisins too, I can't remember) and no non-dairy milk, just the hot quinoa mixture. I haven't tried that one yet, but it sounds good! She states in her book that other cultures have been enjoying rice as part of their breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert! In fact, one dessert she mentions is rice, raisins, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and your choice of milk. Much healthier than the typical dessert!

PetuniaPea replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
I agree, 100 grams of protein is way too much for almost everyone! Too much protein could possibly damage the kidneys, so be careful!

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
270 of 335 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.