Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

How much must I eat for a snack/meal to avoid "starvation" mode?
BigDaddyMatty posted:
I have found for the last 47 days that eating 3 meals a day is the best for me. 07:00 breakfast, 12:30 lunch and 9:00pm dinner. I am aware that some think my dinner is far too late but it's what works for me. It's far easier for me to "wait" than to eat at 6 or 7 and then have to endure hunger pangs before bed. My dinner is very light and I sleep very well.

All that said there is more than 8 hours between my lunch and dinner. While I don't desire a snack in between I thought it might be a good idea to eat one to ensure my body does not go into "starvation mode." Just how much would I have to consume for my body to recognize that I have eaten? Would a shot-glass full of peanuts be sufficient? Thanks.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi BigDaddy,
If you are getting your nutrients and a proper amount of calories per day, i have found that I too can eat late and not have setbacks. That's what is so great about the journies. They are very personal, set up to our personal tastes and lifestyles.
If you don't get hungry , you don't really HAVE to eat a snack. Don't force feed yourself something you don't really want.
The shotglass of peanuts would work fine, giving you extra fats and proteins.
1/2 of a sliced avocado works good too and it has fiber to boot.
I like a smoothie between lunch and dinner. My Pumpkin smoothie is low cal and packed with calcium and again , fiber.
1c solid packed pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling
1c skim milk , soy or almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 pkts stevia
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or to taste
1 ice cube
blend and drink, mmmmmmm
this is only about 100 calories and very filling
hope this helps some
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Tomato05 responded:
Maybe something to drink instead of eating if you don't feel the need for eating - something like V8 vegetable juice, or a protein shake (you can use only half the dose/scoop instead of full if you are worried about exceeding your chosen level of calories). Or even some yogurt, in case you are not getting a lot of dairy (men need lots of calcium too).

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
195 of 240 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.