Skip to content

Announcements

Monster Energy Drink - BEWARE (photo)
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:

Any of you guys drink these? I've never tried because I'm a 3 cups of coffee gal. Anyway, this story just published - please let friends and family members know!

FDA: 5 Death Reports for Monster Energy Drink - Monster Energy Sued in Death of 14-Year-Old Girl

Haylen

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Haylen, not these in particular, but I do love some MONSTER JAVA Mocha..... every once in awhile. Not so much anymore since I started my journey, but I use them when I drive from Loisiana to Michigan. Those AND those 5 hr energy thingys. Then..... I crash when I get to where I'm going.... for like, 2 days! lol
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

BigDaddyMatty replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Those "5 hour energy thingys" are a total rip-off. Just go buy yourself a big bottle of Niacin (vitamin B3) tablets at WalMart.

laura2gemini2 responded:
I am drinking a Monster sugar free right now The 14 year old also had a genetic heart defect which contributed to her death.

I agree that children shouldnt be drinking the huge cans of energy drinks, and adults should drink them in moderation. I work with someone who drinks at least 3 cans a day and there is no way I could be that wired all the time!

PetuniaPea responded:
I've had episodes of tachycardia since I was around 15 years of age (now I'm late 30s). I would have up to 6 episodes a year. It's very scary, a a sudden flutter or jump in the heart, followed by a racing heartbeat that beats so fast I can't even count! Maybe up to 200 bpm!

I was told to quit caffiene when I was in my 20s. That didn't quite help, perhaps it did a little, but I still had episodes.

Not until my early 30s (through my own Internet research) did I learn of the importance of electrolytes! Sodium, magnesium, potassium, chloride, etc. I realized I wasn't taking in enough of these vital minerals through my diet.

I started incorporating mineral-rich foods into my diet (and still had episodes), but didn't actually perfect it until this year, when I eliminated all sugar (depletes minerals) and began following a whole food, plant-based diet. Since eliminating sugar and following a whole food, plant-based diet, as well as magnesium supplements for this and other conditions (muscle spasms!) I haven't had a tachycardia episode! Knock on wood!

I even drink a cup or two of green tea every day and the caffiene doesn't affect me. But coffee and Monster drinks WOULD be disastrous for me. No thanks.

If you drink coffee or Monster drinks, be aware of your electrolyte intake. Consume lots of fruits, veggies, legumes, and nuts high in the minerals I mentioned above. A few off the top of my head: potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery, avocados, dark leafy greens, tomatoes, bananas, oranges, orange juice, coconut water, navy beans, kidney beans, edemame, almonds.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

totallywiggedout replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
I had heard that those things had alot of Niacin in them. Don't they also have the caffeine though? To boost the niacin?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

chocolatecity77071 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
When i worked doubles on the weekends, i took the 5 hour energy shot. It really helped me stay awake and alert and i didn't have the symptoms associated with drinking those monster drinks. And when it was time to go to bed i went to bed without crashing.

totallywiggedout replied to chocolatecity77071's response:
yeh, me too. I found that the 5 or 6 hour energy shots were alot less stressful and I didn't crash with them either, only when I also am drinking the Monsters or whatever energy drinks during the day that I crash so bad. But then again, it IS a 19.5 hr drive to MI from here and When I try to drive so much in one day alone, it kinda wears me down to a frazzle anymore, lol
kim

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.