Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

losing weight
thegb2001 posted:
So i am 29 years old 6'3 now way about 290lbs. i started working out and eating better about 3 months ago when i was 315lbs. but for the last three weeks i havent lost any weight at all. wondering what im doing wrong. i work out 5 days a week now. eliptical some days with row and running. then weight training. i think i mix it up enough each day and am able to see increase in my endurance and stamina. used to eat just once a day before i started correcting my habits. now its 3 to 4 times a day. about 1400 calories. get some fruits in and usually a salad everyday. no alcohol, cut out soda and candy. am i not eating enough? do i need to push myself further in the gym? i feel like from eating once a day and not working out to now working out 5 days a week and eating healthier, more meals and spreading it out, i should be seeing more results.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi, I'm thinking that when you upped your exercise output, you maybe forgot to rebalance your caloric intake. If you don't fuel the body enough , then it starts to retain weight "in case of emergencies".
Perhaps, with your frame you should be taking in a bit more , especially since you are DOING so much more.
Try doing a rotational caloric intake .... staying between 1400 and 1700 a day, like 1400 on mon, 1700 on tues, 1500 wed, etc. This keeps your body guessing and helps keep your metabolism working at optimum because there is no Caloric Resting spot. If your body gets used to doing all its doing on 1400 then it conforms to that and the metabolism adjusts.... Like sleeping in the same spot on a mattress to the point that it causes a "dent" ; you fall into that same dent in the same position every night ... it never changes because it can't, but if you roll a little one way, it widens the threshold and allows for more movement, maybe even a different position. That's progress.

Speaking of progress, I strongly suggest that you take a sewing tape measure and take down the measurements of your
chest, waist, tummy, hips, rt and lft wrist, rt and lft bicep, rt and lft thigh, rt and lft calf, and rt and lft ankle.

Date these measurements and keep them filed away, then remeasure every month. You may not be seeing weight drop off the scales, but I guarantee you will see inches off your measures.
This will help you stay focused while you are in plateau. Plateaus aren't something to worry about necessarily, they are 'resting" periods where your body regroups after the many changes you are pushing it through. So stay strong.

hope this helps some
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

LadyLinguistique responded:
And don't forget: Muscle weighs more than fat. With your strenuous exercise program, you may still be losing fat but not weight because you're adding muscle. As WiggingOut said, get that tape measure out. The scale is not the only way to measure.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 241 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.