Skip to content

Announcements

ZZZ's:Too Little Sleep Makes You Fat
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP posted:
Hi everyone. This just in from hot new research. I'll bet you already know that when you're sleep deprived, you start eating everything in sight. Mystified, you wonder what's up! Well, wonder no more. Here are two bits of data I know you'll remember the next time you find yourself with too few ZZZ's:

1) Believe it or not, fat cells need their sleep. If you get less than 6 hours of sleep (ideally you're getting 7-, then your own fat cells cannot manage blood sugar metabolism and you end up with increased risk of diabetes as well as unstable insulin levels which give rise to an appetite to eat more food. Solution: Put those fat cells to sleep and get your 7-8 hrs of zzz's.

2) You have two hormones: leptin and grehlin, that need their sleep as well. If you're not getting your 7-8 hrs, then both of them become dysfunctional accounting for why we feel like eating boatloads of sugary/fatty/salty food combos all day long. Leptin normally monitors your fat cell fuel supply and grehlin is your appetite driver. Both cannot do their job without lots of good sleep. Solution: Put those hormones to sleep and get your 7-8 hrs of zzz's.

What about you? What's your experience with sleep? Is it usually mission impossible to grab those zzz's? Do you have the same appetite gone crazy without sleep? Any other thoughts and solutions?

Let's hear from you.

Dr. Peeke

brunosbud responded:
What people don't realize, (especially, old ones like me!) is we spend an inordinate amount of time, resting. That is not just sleep. We, naturally, stop and slow down throughout the day to rebuild strength and focus so we can concentrate and get things done throughout our day.

I rarely sleep more than 6 hrs a night but I "rest" maybe an additional four or more hrs during the daytime. Resting becomes more critical as we age and how we address our "rest" time becomes very important. What I like to do is actually "shut down" a couple times throughout the day to allow my body to regenerate and recover. No internet. No gums flapping into a cell phone. Drive time is actually a great opportunity to relax and de-stress and reflect on our blessings and good fortune.

Rest is one of the great pleasures of life. Too bad its so undervalued and under appreciated by most.

jacwak responded:
I totally agree, and I can feel that every night. Also I noticed that when eating late, then you wake up hungry for some reason.
Does anyone knows why?

PetuniaPea replied to brunosbud's response:
As long as you're getting deep sleep, 6 hours is probably fine for you. Personally, I need at least 7...8 preferably, to be at my best.

But I realized that because my diet has improved so much (no toxic sugar, no alcohol, no coffee, lots of plant foods), even if I get a bad night's sleep (uncomfortable due to back pain, stress from bad news, etc.) I can still get through the day just fine! I have a good amount of energy. On those days, which are rare, I eat a lot of complex carbs and don't even crave sugar. I was once a sugar addict, had a "sweet tooth," but now I'm at the point where I don't even find pictures or commercials appealing--zero cravings! I'm coming up on a year...in December it will be one year since I gave up sugar!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

SpiritFields responded:
Hello Dr. Peeke,

I have not slept well since an opthalamic aneurysm surgery catapulted me into menapause. I have talked with my doctor and he prescribed me Trazadone. I refuse to take this because of its harmful side effects. I am not depressed, I just want to sleep well again. Before the surgery, I had a wonderful exercise and eating routine. I still watch what I eat, but I want to sleep well again. I want my energy back to get back into exercising, but when I get home from work, I'm tired without the possibility of getting enough sleep. I have tried various sleep aids, stayed up until 10pm, cut my coffee to two cups in the morning, all to no avail. What can I do? If I am depressed, what is the best meds that will not cause weight gain, illinesses, or death? I am a Black Woman, 51 years of age, not taking any serious meds only Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg. Thanks.

PetuniaPea replied to SpiritFields's response:
I know I'm not Dr. Peeke, I'm sure you'll get a reply soon, but I have a few suggestions if you wish to try (consult doctor on these):

1. Drink a glass of tart cherry juice an hour or two before bed. I'm not sure which grocery stores carry it, but hey, you can find everything online nowadays, I'm sure you can order juice online, too! Tart cherry juice contains 0.8 mg of natural melatonin, which is the hormone that tells your body it needs to go to sleep.

2. Do not take melatonin 1 mg or higher! They sell 3 mg melatonin supplements, I've even seen 5 mg, which is just plain WRONG! Just because they sell it, doesn't mean its safe or good for you. 1 mg or higher can actually make you wake up wide awake in the middle of the night. All you need is 0.5 mg of a melatonin supplement. I have a bottle from Trader Joes, they sell chewable melatonin in a proper 0.5 mg dosage. You can take that 1 hour before bed.

3. Give up coffee completely. I know it will be hard, but I think you could be sensitive to caffiene. Two cups in the morning might be fine for someone else, but cut it out completely and see what happens. Replace it with green or white tea, so you're not quitting caffiene cold turkey!

Let me know what you think!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

loriblackhealthynutrition responded:
Love this post..people don't realize how much being sleep deprived stresses the body.

PoetLion replied to SpiritFields's response:
Hi SpiritFields,

Have you tried chamomile tea? It will help to relax you to put you to sleep.
How about some soft, soothing music also? Like listening to sounds of the sea, soft instruments, mind music - that sort of thing. It's very peaceful and calming.

Adamski responded:
Quality of sleep for me is so much more important than quantity of sleep. Too often, Ive endured broken sleep yet been in bed for hours without feeling rested. I invested in a cheap memory foam topper and whilst I wasnt sleeping as long in bed, I felt better for it as I wasnt tossing and turning all night. This meant I had more energy the next day so needed less food!

Still, if you sleep longer, you have less time to eat so who knows!

babadarma responded:
Dr. Peeke

I so appreciate your comments and replies. I had my RNY 3/2003...all was well until 2010 when I started gaining and have now regained 45 of 100 lbs. I do have RA, Sleep Apnea, fibro, and diabetes2...the regain is devastating because my most serious problem is major depression/bipolar. Do you by any chance have an opinion for me regarding another RNY or revision of some type...or/and hypnosis? Because of the RA I was in a wheelchair at the time of surgery and while I am mobile now it is difficult for me to exercise sufficiently. Also - I am 71 y.o.
Thank you for your comment.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.