Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

How do you wash your fruits and vegetables?
BigDaddyMatty posted:
How do you wash your fresh fruits and vegetables?

Take the Poll

How do you wash your fresh fruits and vegetables?
  • I even buy the special soap to wash them!
  • I soak them and then scrub every inch of them with a brush
  • I scrub them well
  • I rinse them with running water
  • I don't wash them
vote
View Poll Results

PetuniaPea responded:
I voted that I rinse them with running water, but that's most of the time. Sometimes, like with organic kale, and I'm in a rush, I don't wash it at all. Also, I sometimes don't rinse my apples. I'm with the school of thought that a little dirt is good for you, can strengthen the immune system, and may even contain traces of Vitamin B-12, which is important for me since I've recently become vegan.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

jis4judy replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Hi I also voted on rinse under running water the accual fact is I scrub potatoes and sweet potatoes I soak spinach every thing else under running water I also soak berries for 2 minutes.
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

BigDaddyMatty replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks for the reply. Why do you soak spinach? Is it different than lettuce? Thanks much.

jis4judy replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
spinach is accually cleaner now It is a habit I do because it used to have dirt or sand like on it and soaking the sand would collect on the bottom of the vessel the spinich would float
then I could scoop the spinach up and place in pan to cook .

romain lettuce I buy several heads and rinse iunder running water then wrap in a clean kitcken towel wet lightly the towel store in refrigerator drawer it lasts longer and stays crisp that way
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Interesting discussion! I usually do a quick rinse under running water for most fruits and vegetables. I always buy spinach and bagged salad pre-cleaned and ready to eat.

I looked up the 'Dirty Dozen' List for Pesticides on Fruits and Veggies to see if there was any information on washing and pesticides and found this: "Our advice to consumers is to choose the organic version of the fruits and vegetables on the dirty dozen list," an EWG senior scientist, tells WebMD. While EWG scientists prefer organic versions of some produce, they do concede that ''eating commercially grown produce is better than not eating fruits and vegetables at all."

While I would like to buy everything organic or from a Farmer's Market, I'm not always able to and I am concerned about exposing my kids to pesticides. Since I became a mom, a little dirt or germs don't bother me but pesticide exposure does!

Haylen

PetuniaPea responded:
Just wanted to add that I sometimes don't rinse ORGANIC produce, just in case anyone decides to follows what I do. Remember, organic is free of pesticides, so if you get conventional fruits and veggies, rinse thoroughly and/or use lemon juice to get rid of some of the pesticide.

totallywiggedout replied to PetuniaPea's response:
I ran across an article with uses for Arm and Hammer Baking soda, it stated that Baking soda and water is an all natural , environment friendly way to wash your fruits and veggies.
This is the way I do them now too, in fact, I washed my pumpkins this way before I cut into them to cook for my pies and to freeze the pumpkin meat to make into fries later on.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

PetuniaPea replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I'll be sure to use baking soda to wash all my conventional produce (mangoes, cherries, etc)...but here's how I know lemon juice works too, as far as germs...well, it was just one incident last month.

During the check out at Trader Joes, as the cashier grabbed my bag of apples, one fell out of the bag and onto the floor next to him, even rolled a little bit too. He put it back in the plastic bag with all my other apples. I didn't want to make a fuss and be one of those customers who complain, so I remained quiet.

I went home with the germy apples (because all of them are contaminated now!) and over the next week, I would squeeze bottled lemon juice on each apple, rub it in really well, then rinse with water before eating--I never got sick! So I suppose it worked...

emersonkelly replied to PetuniaPea's response:
I will add salt to the water and stir it well and then I will dip the fruits or vegetables in it and wash them. This will also clear the germs, bacteria present on them!!

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
273 of 338 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.