Skip to content

Announcements

Weight & Waist Stuck in Stall Mode
An_248817 posted:
I am 66 yrs old and reasonably fit for my age. I'm 5'9" tall and weigh 166 pounds. I'd like to get down to 150 lbs as I remember feeling great at that weight. I take in 1500 cals per day, sometimes 1400 cals. I do a 45 minute dance aerobic workout 3x a week, and a 20 minute dance aerobic workout on the off day combined with 20 minutes of strength/resistance workout. The 7th day I rest. One would think that with that much exercise, which isn't excessive, I would lose at least a pound every two weeks, but I am stuck at 166. While that is still in the normal range, my waist size is 35 1/2 inches! That isn't shrinking eiher! Could my spinal column be compressing to account for it? I am very disciplined about my intake of calories and my exercise. Thanks for your reply.

brunosbud responded:
This will sound like a broken record but, in regards to your situation, it's really about eating less. You're doing everything you should be doing, except caloric intake has to be reduced. Portion size is key.

My mom recently celebrated her 89th. She's about 5'3" and weighed roughly 110 #s for the last 30-40 years. After my dad passed this spring, she quietly dropped 14 lbs in the span of 90 days. No diagnosis of depression; she just lost her appetite. Now, how do you explain a 13% loss in weight
without intention nor deliberation to lose?

Easy. She ate less. Not different. Not exercise, more. She ate small portions.

Since that time, she's recovered, magnificently, and picked up 10 of the pounds she lost and she's resumed walking one mile every evening to fight constipation and help her sleep.

Question: How can weight loss surgery patients lose 150 pounds in a year?

GB Patients, on avg, eat a total of 12 tblsps of broth a day post surgery. That's less than 1 cup of...nothing! Mystery solved.

Thai hospitality workers refer to Americans as "buffalo" because their portions at dinner can feed entire families.

Again, you are doing nothing wrong and congratulations on taking such excellent care of yourself! But, if you're really serious about losing 16 pounds, you'll just have to eat less...

Its just that simple.

jis4judy responded:
Hi anon
your weight is in the normal range Have you had a check up to find out why your waist is so big for your height and weight?
I would get that checked if I were you .
also calories are optional it could be you aren;t eating the healthiest choices maybe and are miscalulating the number of calories. try to stay away from proccessed foods that will get sodium under control because there is a lot of sodium in proccessed foods that can result in bloating ,,
do get a check up firat though
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Woodnutty replied to brunosbud's response:
Thanks for your reply. I am using WebMD's recommended caloric intake as my guide, which is 1500 cals per day. I eat very healthy foods, (I am gluten intolerant so do extremely little in the baked foods category) and I avoid processed foods. Less than 1400 calories makes me hungry, whereas 1400 to 1500 is about right, with no hunger. Is there such a thing as taking in too few calories for one of my height?

Woodnutty replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks for your reply. I am very careful about my calorie counts and portion sizes. I do avoid processed foods, and am gluten intolerant so even avoid bread, except for a slice of GF bread about every other day. I did go to my doc yesterday and she ordered lab work - checking is a good idea. I had the MA measure my height and I came back an inch shorter than last year. Crazy, but could that inch (likely from spine compressing) be part of the culprit of increased waist size? I've not seen anything that talks about this possibility.

PetuniaPea responded:
If you've been reducing your calories for a looong amount of time, your body's metabolism gets used to that lower number of calories and slows down (what's sometimes referred to as "starvation mode"). Find out how many calories it takes for you to maintain your current weight, then take a short break from dieting. Maintain your weight for about a month or so, then reduce calories again. Hopefully your metabolism has "reset" by then, and the pounds will come off once again.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.