Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

6 Days a Week
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
You might ask, "How often should I exercise?" My answer is 6 days a week.

This is a hard message in our culture because, fitness-wise, we have gone so far off the rails. Exercising an hour a day, 6 days a week, takes up 5% of your waking hours. That's a small fraction (if you consider how much time you might spend watching TV), but it's a significant way to change your life.

Do you absolutely have to do 6 days a week? Of course not. But remember, your biology never rests. And in the lifetime struggle between growth and decay, exercise helps keep you younger and healthier. The reality is that the more often you exercise, the greater your benefits. I am a huge fan of 6 days, clearly. Exercising 6 days a week can help to optimize your fitness and energy. But 4 days a week -- with a lot of activity on the other 3 days -- can be just as beneficial. Just be aware that cutting down on your exercise days is taking a step back from the benefits. And by the time you get down to 1 day a week, you're really just hanging on to those benefits by a thread.

The interesting thing is that exercising 6 days a week can actually be easier than you think. Once you get started, it becomes one of the basic routines of your life, like brushing your teeth, taking the kids to school, or showing up for work. You simply show up and do it. It's only a struggle when you spend too much time deciding where to fit it into your schedule.

How many days a week do you exercise? Is it a part of your routine or something you are struggling to do?

jis4judy responded:
Yes Dr Lodge 6 days a week is my goal but sometimes only 5 days a week . all depends on how my week is going and what is scheduled
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

brunosbud responded:
I fell off my bike and hit my knee a couple years ago...that's the last time I can recall missing a day of exercise. I have a lethal family history of Type 2 Diabetes. There is no question in my mind, without my daily walks, I could not keep my A1C below 6.0 and it would be highly likely that I would require the use of Cpap for sleep apnea. Exercise also cured my enlarged prostate.

The way I see it, I exercise at least one hr, 7 days/wk because I sleep 7 days/wk.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.