Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

vegan for my 3 year old?
browny8135 posted:
My ex wife told me yesterday when i picked my son up that she is switching their diets over to vegan. i was shocked! is this safe for my 3 year old?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi browny and welcome!

I understand your concern. Fortunately, there is a lot of information out there for parents. Click the link below to learn more about vegetarian diets and children. Read more here: Vegetarian Diets - Is it safe for children to be vegetarians? Regarding vegan children, the article points out that they tend to be slightly smaller as young children but still within growth normal ranges. They tend to catch up to other children in size as they get older.

There's a great video from the WebMD Children's Health Channel here: Vegetarian Kids

A Pediatric Nutritionist is quoted and states that parents need to make sure a child's vegetarian diet contains enough protein, calcium, vitamin B12, zinc and iron. If kids aren't able to get all the nutrients they need from food, supplements might be necessary.

I encourage you and your son's mom to work with his pediatrician to make sure his diet is complete. If you have additional questions, we have a great expert in the WebMD Parenting Community . Dr. Benaroch can address questions specific to kids.

Best to you and your son!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 241 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.