Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Would like to lose about 20 pounds. Any advice or tips?
hannahj488 posted:
Hi I just went to the doctor the other day and she told me I am about 20 pounds overweight. I've always thought I looked fine though. But, she made it seem like this is a big deal. I don't exercise as much as I would like to. I try to eat healthy but I slip up every now and then. I just bought this tea that's supposed to help me lose weight. I decided to give it a try because it's supposed to curve hunger and increase metabolism. It's called Tiesta Tea. But, I've only been drinking it once a day for about a week now. I would like to join a gym but they are pretty pricey (about $35 a month.) I just don't know if that is worth it or not. Do you know of any healthy snacks that will make me feel full and energized for awhile? I work 6 hour shifts and I need something to have during my 15 minute break since I do not get a lunch break. I need something that will hold me over for a few hours until I am able to eat lunch at home. Also do you know of any cheap or free exercises that i can do at home (I have a treadmill, a wii with a wii fit, an exercise ball, 3 pound and 5 pound weights.) Nothing seems to help me lose weight. It's too cold here to go on a walk or a bike ride (I am a wuss when it comes to cold weather.) I try and make extra tips up and down the stairs every day. I am a 5'5" 150 pound woman. I would like to be about 130 (that's what my doctor wants me to be as well.) I am always looking for healthy recipes to cook (I am an advanced cook who can cook just about anything.) I've been cooking for over 10 years and I am currently going to culinary school. So, it's hard sometimes to eat healthy when I am a chef and work around food every day at school and at my job. But, I try and eat unhealthy stuff only in moderation. Lately, I've been craving only carbs. But, I try and balance that out with fresh fruits and veggies. I am always looking for healthy smoothie recipes that will promote weight loss. Any tips or advice you have for weight loss? Thanks!

PetuniaPea responded:
Hi,

My healthy go-to snack is an ounce of nuts and an apple. I like mixed nuts, almonds, walnuts, etc. The fruit fills me up and the healthy fats in the nuts keep me satiated. So...one or two ounces of nuts plus a piece of fruit is my suggestion to you!

Do you like dancing? Put in a CD or record some music videos if you get a music video channel.

Also, I recently became vegan...it did seem to help me lose those last few pounds. I've checked out a bunch of vegan cookbooks from the library. Give it a try! Of course, ease into it! Going vegan all at once is not a good thing...I was vegetarian for a while, then slowly eased into being vegan. If you're not interested in that, your local library has a ton of cookbooks that are geared towards losing weight, go get inspired!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

brunosbud responded:
"...But, she made it seem like this is a big deal..."

Maybe, this is why...

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/15/diabetes-diagnoses-increasing-at-alarming-rate/

"DIABETES DIAGNOSES INCREASING AT ALARMING RATE"

Do you know what it's like to have Type 2 Diabetes? Just ask a few people you know...One of them can tell you, I'm sure,

Vamp19 responded:
Hi
I start my day with a protein smoothie. It helps me stay full til lunch. I blend 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein, 1 banana, some frozen raspberries, 1 bunch of power greens (I like the bag from Trader Joe's), a shake of cinnamon, and 1 cup of almond milk. Delicious! Then I find if I have a low fat protein with my meals and snacks and stay away from simple carbs, I'm satisfied and the weight comes off. Good luck!

leahla responded:
craving carbs is never good, especially white carbs as they are ultimately just simple sugars and as youve found/are funding-an addiction. An addiction can be broke in max 3weeks and believe me its great feeling wen u find u dont even want those foods anymore. You can do this,you can lose weight and eliminate your risks to your health that your doc is worried about. you have more equipment at home than i ever had,u dont need to pay for the gym. once you get that drive you can do it! Do at least 20mins cardio but prob need least 3hours a week exercise total to lose weight-on ur treadmill or find a youtube vid that suits u and weight/strength training.do bodyweight circuits with things lik squats,dumbbell row. Eat something like porridge for breakfast,this should keep u goin at work. I add some spoons of lowfat low sugar yogurt to mine and it's lovely.eggs for breakfast are good too. Protein shakes and smoothies are a great idea, there's lots of great sites directed towards fitness and clean eating recipes now, for example to feel lik I'm having something nice I mix a scoop of protein powder and one egg in a bowl and put in microwave for 2mins and it's like a muffin. apple and 2teasoons peanut butter is another fav snack of mine. If you lik cooking you cud easily make and blend luvly versions of veg soup. I stir in some lowfat cottage cheese too to make it creamier and helps add some protein again to each meal. This helps keep you full for longer. Try keep carbs portions-wholegrain versions!-to twice a day. Like i have my porridge then maybe small bit of brown rice in evening. Fish twice a week if you can also. These are just some things that spring to mind and I have used effectively. There is no quickfix, I've tried all the teas and weight loss claims believe me! Stay motivated ?

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. It's great that you want to get healthier and your physician gave you a bit of a wake up call as well as a nudge to shed some unwanted pounds.

To achieve your goal, you need to get organized. I would very highly recommend the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner. Take a moment and log on, complete your data and set your goals. Then, you'll see the recommendations for nutrition and fitness. These include food plans and snack suggestions. This will help answer a lot of your questions.

Physical activity can be accomplished every day by simply increasing your activities of daily living like stair walking and taking time to get up and move as much as you can throughout the day. You'e begun to do that so that's terrific. You need to keep it going.

Your carb craving is normal. Do you feel out of control around sugary items? What about fatty/salty products? In my book, The Hunger Fix, i talk about the new science of food and addiction. Most people pack on the pounds because of out of control cravings for products in the sugary/fatty/salty realm. You need to substitute healthy sources of sweetness to replace the refined and processed products. The book has many options to offer, as well as the Food and Fitness Planner, so you have plenty of resources to help you.

The tea is fine but it's no miracle pill. Keeping away from the refined and processed foods is key.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing,

Dr. Peeke

punkey responded:
First of all I'm 48 yrs old, weighing 180 and I'm 5'5. So, when I weighed 150 I also felt my best. I just went to my heart doctor for a follow up appt and he told me I too need to lose 40 pounds. I have tried to lose weight, doing zumba, walking, diet pills you name it and I wish I knew what to do. I feel the older I get it's harder to get that motivation you need or the energy to exercise especially after working all day. I too would like some advice. I know if I had someone to exercise with it would be easier and now that it's cold just makes it worse. Please help!!!

Anon_170282 responded:
I had the best results (I lost almost 50 lbs!!!) with the Low Glycemic Diet after the RESET system (www.corenutrition.usana.com look for the RESET diet system and Nutrimeal shakes) my experience was pretty good been able to keep the target weight for almost two years now, exercise is a must and your cache of dumbbells and a good cardio workout is perfect, the gym is the best bet, but not always feasible, also try cinnamon tea as a meal drink (no sugar or sugar substitutes please) Low Glycemic foods are a Godsend, keep up the good work.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
272 of 337 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.