Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Surprising Health Benefits of Relationships
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
Turns out, relationships -- interactions with your family or friends -- can change your physical chemistry in ways we never imagined. There are stunning effects on your long-term physical health -- a reduced risk of stroke and heart attack, for instance. And the effects on your brain are even greater! Your risk of Alzheimer's falls dramatically with social connection. And areas of your brain that can atrophy with loneliness and depression actually show re-growth with social connection, warmth, and engagement.

Friends and family can be your most powerful resource. Meaningful engagement with your community is also important. It can be an effective substitute for closer social ties if you've let go of those kinds of connections over the years.

Take a hard look at your social connections. Examine whether or not you are as deeply and meaningfully engaged as you really want it to be. If not, take steps today to change that! With all the social media available today, you can find friends you haven't been in touch with for decades. Reach out to the people around you and gain an understanding of your community's needs. This can give you opportunities to be involved and more widely connected with others.

Make this your project for today! Reach out to people you have lost touch with. Start making plans to get together on a regular basis. Take a close look at how you can volunteer and help others. Your altruism could have a wonderful effect on your biology.

PetuniaPea responded:
Thanks Dr Lodge. Great advice! On the other end of the token, if a friend or acquaintance always leaves you feeling icky or negative, reduce your time spent with them, or consider "breaking off" the relationship! Those negative feelings have a big impact on health as well. Gravitate towards healthy and loving relationships.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

brunosbud responded:
The best example of what you're describing? Doctors

"...Forty-six percent of physicians experience at least one symptom of serious burnout, such as emotional exhaustion, depersonalization and a low sense of personal accomplishment, according to a June 2011 survey of 7,288 doctors nationwide. The findings were published in the Oct. 8 Archives of Internal Medicine..."

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2012/11/12/hlsa1112.htm

In other words, stress, long hours, difficult or emotionally charged interactions exact a toll on one's health...

And, many doctors are deciding, "It's just not worth it."

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Great insight Dr. Lodge!

A get together with friends is tough for me now that I have two little kids and a full time job. Much easier to stay home with the family in my PJs. But when the husband and I rally and hang out with other families, it's like an anti-depressant!

Thank you for the reminder about volunteering - I'm going to look into some opportunities over the holidays for my family to give back.

Haylen

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
273 of 338 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.