Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Post Gastric Sleeve
nora1979 posted:
Hi all,

I just had my sleeve done on the 14th of November. I am healing well, so they tell me, but am starting to second guess everything. I could use some people who have been here to help me through.

Thanks

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi Nora and thanks so much for your posting. I know that plenty of people out there who are in your shoes will be offering their support on our wonderful community board. Here are my thoughts:

Of all of the bariatric surgery options, the sleeve is one of the most effective. The biologic reason for this is that ghrelin, the appetite hormone, is found in the curvature of the stomach which is affected by this particular kind of surgery. Less ghrelin secretion means less appetite which helps in weight reduction.

Alright, that the biology. But you need a holistic approach to achieve and to sustain any meaningful weight reduction. That means a support system absolutely must be in place. You need a registered dietitian who is familiar with this procedure. Any reputable bariatric surgeon has one or more in the office for you to work with.

Next up you need emotional, psychological support. Again, bariatricians should have these professionals in office or for referral. It's paramount that you have someone to work out the stress eating, food addiction and related challenges. As well, you'll need to look at how, where and with whom you live and work. These people, places and things will affect your ability to achieve and maintain this accomplishment for life. I am adamant about every person who undergoes bariatric surgery getting the emotional support they need to learn new ways of adapting and adjusting to life's challenges without caving to cravings.

With this system in place, you should do well. Of course we're here in the community to help you as you go along.

Let us know how you're doing.

Good luck,

Dr. Peeke

MoreganK responded:
I am 5.5 months out from surgery and I'm here to say it gets so much better! It's hard at first, but after you get the hang of things and learn how your new self works, I hope you'll think what. I do. That it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Also, if you haven't yet found it, there is a fantastic support group online. Look for vertical sleeve talk. Any and every question, bump in the road, & victory is there for you with a great group of people all like you, and at different stages in the processes. Good luck! And if you go to the vsg talk sight, you can find me. Always willing to support a fellow sleever!

gr8view replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
had the sleeve on 12/10/12 which means I am almost 3 months post op. I have been sick or sleeping ever since. I am being told, 1) I am eatting too fast 2) I am taking too large a bite 3) I am taking in air when I eat. For the past week, I have not done any of the above since now I am like a crazy person journaling and dissecting every step of my meals. I call them meals loosely. My phone alerts me every 2 hours starting at 8 am. My "meals" consist of 8 oz of Kefir (liquid yogurt) to take my meds in the morning. A slice of toast with peanut butter. A 6 oz greek yogurt, sometimes I even finish it! Cranbury or other strong flavored juice to mix with my liquid whey protein (this is very difficult for me to down as it really makes me sick). Lunch may be some salad, or most of a 1/2 sandwich or soup & crackers. Then before dinner it's fruit or another yogurt, tea, well you get the picture. Last night "dinner" was almost a whole 1/2 of a tuna sandwich &2 bites of a pickle. Later I had a banana and then, yup, another yogurt. I have stomach cramps often feeling like nausea but not actually throwing up. I am also quite lethargic, due to not getting enough of anything - espeically protein. I faithfull take vitamins, minerals and liquid protein. To date weigh 180 and I was 202 on surgery day - so only 22 lbs - which I don't think is so exciting either. I went into this after almost a year of debate, looking at pros and cons and thought this was the best choice for me. I do not feel the same about it today. I am trying to find a support group nearby but have not found one yet. Even my surgery was 100 miles away just so I could go to a Bariatric Center (well known around the country). I think there is something else wrong but my Dr. does not. Not sure what to do but I am so very tired and wish I could eat more often without my stomach hurting:(

Helpful Tips

Try out this diet plan.
http://8970cixx8q240i4qh9dpvy1kdy.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=RBC31F More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.