Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

artificial sugars
duckielmp posted:
I switched to sucralose because I didn't want the sugar spikes that increase cortisol levels and cause so much damage with real sugars. Am I right in assuming you don't get the spikes with artificial sugars?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi duckie and welcome!

Interesting question - I'm wondering how you are using sucralose? Are you cooking or baking with it or just using it to sweeten beverages?

Dr. Dansinger, our diabetes expert, addressed some of the issues around sugar vs. artificial sugar in this blog post: Finding A Middle Ground On Artificial Sweeteners

Are you diabetic? If so, we have a great Diabetes Community if you want to connect with others discussing issues related to Type 1, Type 2 or pre-diabetes.

Haylen

duckielmp responded:
Well, the article was interesting but didn't quite answer my question! On one hand it said artificial sweetners would be healthier for diabetics (of which I am not) than eating regular sugar which would lead a person to assume that artificials did not cause spikes in blood sugar levels but by the same token said with chronic use, over the years, may cause metabolic syndrome which I associate with blood sugar spikes. So, since I am older and don't care about long-term use effects I will go with the sucralose!

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.