Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Does drinking coffee after eating oatmeal negate it's ability to lower cholesterol?
chrisrub posted:
I have an oatmeal breakfast at around 8:30am daily. Usually I have a cup of coffee right when I stumble out of bed, before breakfast. However on some days, I don't get my dose of coffee until after I eat oatmeal - and it seems to pass through my digestive system quickly if the coffee is on top - by 10:30am I am on the toilet. Could this be affecting the cholesterol lowering properties of the oatmeal? My understanding is that the oatmeal must sit in your small intestine for a period of time to remove some of the cholesterol produced by the liver - and if the coffee is acting like a laxative I am wondering if I am negating the effects.

leahla responded:
Im not sure but I would doubt the effects are cancelled out. Two hours is an effective amount of time for the oatmeal to have done its job,be absorbed etc and moved into the large intestine part of your digestive system by that time? Don't forget oatmeal has fibre which assists digestive processes too.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.