Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

NSV - Non-Scale Victories! Share yours here:
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Low self-esteem and a poor body image led me to my first "diet" in 6th grade. Although I've been at goal weight for several years, I'm still trapped in the "number on the scale" method of evaluating my healthy eating progress.

I'm going to start focusing on "Non-Scale Victories". Let's all share some healthy actions we've taken lately or upcoming NSV's we hope to celebrate! For me:

More veggies: I made a healthy pot of butternut squash soup - It was delish and low cal. I'm not a person who enjoys the kitchen so I'm sort of proud of myself.

More steps: I parked 2 blocks farther than usual when I picked up my daughter from school - so I got in 4 extra blocks of steps (the kid whined but it's good for her too) (I have a pedometer and have been working on 10,000 steps a day for a few months)

More sleep: Went to bed an hour earlier last night and I feel really refreshed today! See this video for more information on why it's important to get your "zzzzzz's". How Better Sleep Helps Weight Loss

Who is next?

Haylen

jis4judy responded:
Hi Haylen
I have some non scale victories

I have successfully changed my eating habits to healthier foods for the last decade

that resulted in weight removal but the NSVs are the real prise

My asthma is no longer being treated no need for medicine

I have more energy

My annual physical is all good news so far

and I have adjusted to eating less than I used to and am still satisfied

My Eye doc treating my macular degeneration calls me an exceptional case I respond to the meds better than any of the other patients I believe it is because of my journey to better health through food
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

abnersmom responded:
Hi Haylen,

This is a good one! Many times during my journey, I relied on NSV's to keep me going when the scale just wouldn't budge. It is important to make note (even if it is just a passing thought) of how you are changing your life and health for the better with every healthy choice.

I realized last night after a weekend of food indulgences with family visiting from AL that I missed my veggies! This is a huge NSV for me. Two years ago, if you had told me that I would actually be craving broccoli, I would have laughed!

jis4judy responded:
I guess this wasn;t too popular a thread
Oh well It is important to know there are benifits besides loseing pounds
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

totallywiggedout responded:
Sorry, I've been snoozing these past couple of weeks.... missed this one.
My biggest NSV so far was that I had started out in the OMG high range of blood pressure and had just started a newly prescribed "lifelong" script for bp meds. I was so upset, I had asked my Dr if I lost all the weight I wanted to, would I not probably be off the meds and he said, "no, this is forever".
Well after 5 months and 50 lbs lost I got my bp to right smack dab in the middle of normal. Was very happy to jovially rub my Dr's nose in the fact that he took me off the meds.

NSV , Baby!
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Helpful Tips

sugar subs
I consaltated my allergy cookbook for this one.Alternative sweeteners include :honey,maple syrup,date sugar,fruit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.