Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Best Nutrition Tips are The Basics
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
When I talk to my patients about nutrition, my message is pretty simple. Saturated fats, starches, and sugar are bad for you if you eat too much of them.

Red meat and dairy products are the main sources of saturated fat. So be sure to limit how much of these foods you eat. Instead, eat more white meats like chicken and fish. But don't be fooled into thinking that's all you need to do. Your body was designed to run on a mixed diet. While you're cutting your portions of meat, fill in the gaps with more healthy fruits, vegetables, and whole grains

You might have a hard time limiting your starch intake. In this case, it might be easier to stay away from starches all together. Try to avoid breads and pastas -- just for a few weeks -- and see how you feel.

I know this isn't very exciting advice. But the basics remain the best.

brunosbud responded:
The big medical catch phrase, today, is..."Have you seen a dietician?"

Though I don't necessarily disagree that consulting a dietician would not benefit most, I also believe the majority of members, here, already know that excess sat fats, starches and sugar are bad.

I think most people already know that tuna, salmon, broccoli, spinach, avocados, oatmeal, eggs, brown rice, tomatoes, apples and oranges are "superfoods". That's not the problem...

The problem is, unless your willing to do some minor cooking, very few can eat these "superfoods", everyday.

And, the reality is, unless your willing to eat them, everyday, it's pretty damn hard to lose any weight.

hikerrd responded:
This is pretty scary if you are labeled a guest 'expert'! What's the evidence based research support cutting out the carbs--Dr. Atkins' book? See a summary of the research at the most current US Dietary Guidelines for Americans if you want the basics--with the evidence to back it. No, starches don't cause weight gain, and black and white approaches like you suggest will have more negative consequences than you could ever realize, like rebound binge eating, misinformation overload and a black and white approach to eating.

Labeling foods as 'good' vs 'bad' and following rigid diets and these most simplistic rules as you described, may help with weight loss short term, but the rebound overeating will have more negative then positive effects.

Lori Lieberman, RD, MPH, CDE, LDN
www.dropitandeat.blogspot.com
food-2-eat.com

hikerrd replied to brunosbud's response:
What you fail to realize is that any dietitian worth her weight does much more than tell people what to eat. Rather, she/he helps identify obstacles to changing behaviors and provides practical, manageable goals one can achieve.

And this RD, for one, disagrees with your acting assumption, that it's the food items themselves that are at the root of the problem. Sure, the key word is excess, and excess anything can contribute to weight issues. Work needs to be done not just on cooking 'superfoods' but on learning how to eat mindfully, how to differentiate hunger from all the other eating triggers that contribute to our intake. And from breaking the cycle of good food/bad food, on a diet/off a diet.

Lori Lieberman, RD, MPH, CDE, LDN
www.dropitandeat.blogspot.com
food-2-eat.com

brunosbud replied to hikerrd's response:
OK, Lori, I defer to your vast experience and expertise. You're right! I don't know a thing about diet and nutrition.

So, would you be willing to start a thread for the members, here, who have questions about the right "strategies" for obesity, post gastric bypass weight re-gain, diabetes, high triglycerides (&/or low HDL) and other conditions?

What do you say?

Anon_230738 responded:
Thank you. Moving to a diet of basics has worked well for me, and I'm thrilled that after years of non-success, I'm making steady, visible progress towards my goal.

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
"...any dietitian worth her weight does much more than tell people what to eat..."

Does that mean they "walk the talk", eh, Ms. Lieberman?

cookaholic responded:
WOW...all of these posts are sure hostile. Personally I think Dr. Lodge is right on. I don't think this is an article about why we have trouble not stuffing ourselves and eating the right foods. I think this is meant to be a quick and easy post about a "pretty simple" picture of what we Should eat and what we Should watch.

Like he says, it isn't very exciting but it is the basics.

TheBestICanBe replied to cookaholic's response:
I am also kind of shocked at the hostility with some of these comments too! After all these educated professional people are just trying to help! There are so many different opinions and so many theories out there about weight loss, nutrition, etc. that it can be difficult for a lot of us to navigate all of that information and to decide what is best for our particular issue. I believe that it is our responsibility to "put our forks down" and not only use the common sense we can learn from others but also to discipline ourselves about portion control. As a society we have all seen such an overconsumption of almost everything and we owe it to ourselves to slow down at least in our eating and really just make better choices and actually enjoy what is on our plate. And stay away from fast food. It's literally poisoning our children.
My intention is to live life to the fullest, be as healthy as I can be and to savor each moment as though it was the greatest gift of all!!

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 241 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.