Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
We can do this and get back on track
An_249293 posted:
I have gained 50bs of the weight back , I feel so ashamed and self pitty for my behavior. I thought I would never worry about weight agen. But I refuse to give up on me. I am worth it.

brunosbud responded:
Obesity, in my opinion, is a classic "chicken and egg" scenario.

The "eggs" acknowledge their lifestyle missteps and believe that with a little education, encouragement and elbow grease, they can win the battle of the bulge. But, there's another group, the "chickens", who believe they have a underlying illness or some yet-to-be-diagnosed disease or congenital defect that prevents them from losing weight and no matter how healthy they eat of how many hours they exercise, they can never achieve a normal weight. In other words, the "eggs" believe they are "normal" and possess all the tools needed to return to normal weight but the "chickens" believe they're "abnormal" and lacking, thus, they are willing to buy and try anything in hopes of finding the missing piece of the puzzle.

It would be ludicrous for me to suggest you shouldn't feel ashamed or self pity. And, you're probably not comforted in the fact that "muffin tops" are the new normal so your frustration is shared by millions. But, at least you're "normal" and you control your destiny... You're an egg!...

and, that's 99%, right there!

Though I no longer suffer weight issues, I've had a long history of addiction, so, I test myself, regularly, to see if I'm still in control...

Select a favorite food you eat with regularity, and stop it, completely, for a couple weeks (or more). I haven't had soda in years. I haven't had a take out burger or taco in years, too. I quit ice cream and chocolate candy this way, too. I'll stop eating/drinking bread or coffee for a few weeks at a time, too, just to test my control. This tip works on so many levels but most of all, it identifies food "addiction".

If you can do this exercise with any food you eat you will eventually lose all food addictions. Food becomes less important, less emotional. You will also clearly see why Dr. Peeke especially targets processed food...They can be ridiculously addictive and destructive to your body.

Good luck!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. Of course you're worth it! This back and forth with weight gain and loss and back again means you need to really look at what's driving this. In my book, The Hunger Fix, the new science of food and addiction is presented. Experts believe this is one of the reasons people pack on the weight again and again. Take the Yale University validated quiz and see if this is your problem http://www.drpeeke.com/PopQuiz.htm
If this is your issue, then the book outlines a simple strategy to help you, including the use of WebMD's Food and Fitness Planner.

Identify the foods that you tend to default to. Typically they are in the category of hyperpalatables--- sugary/fatty/salty food combos. Ideally you detox off these foods substituting instead healthy tasty delicious rewarding foods presented in the book and with the food planner. This is a must. You know the foods that, after one serving, send you into a binge. You need to eliminate the bingeables to control your eating.

Next up, do a careful inventory of the people, places and things in your life that enable and instigate your overeating. This is important, because altering your own eating and exercise behavior needs to be supported by a living and working environment that's healthier.

Don't spend an extra second on feeling bad about the weight re-gain. The past is only good for one thing--- learning. Not feeling the usual blame/shame and guilt. Don't waste your time on that. Think positively. Look forward and say to yourself--- OK, i got the lessons from the past. Let's plan and organize so i can achieve my goals.

Then, break up your overall goal into countless mini goals. How about celebrating everything--- non scale goals like de-cluttering your house so you can have a stress-free living environment, ready to hop out for a walk because you can now find your sneakers. Celebrate every single pound you shed as a triumph of practicing your new lifestyle behaviors.

Create a support system of folks who love you unconditionally, don't judge you and are there to support you.

Sit up and smile, now. You can do this. You're strong and amazing and powerful. Shine a light deep inside and you'll see an eternal repository of inner strength, self worth and self support.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Dr. Peeke

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Tips
Anyone else try the HCG Diet ? I tried the hcg diet and lost 18lbs in 30 days. Anyone else have any results? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.