Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Is vegetarianism really healthier?
jillyyang posted:
I've been reading up on vegetarianism and thinking about making a change to become mostly vegetarian for health reason... but before making any real change are there any websites or books that I can read that have good research backing them up? I've heard of the China Study... any other good reads out there? Or are there any good reads that prove the opposite?

atsuk responded:
I recommend Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. Good luck!

clm500 responded:
I second the recommendation to read any of Dr. Fuhrman's books and go to his website www.drfuhrman.com . The China Study is good and there is a video on YouTube and Netflix called "Forks Over Knives" that talks about the China Study and more. The Gerson Therapy is another good book and there are multiple videos and the website http://gerson.org regarding the vegetarian lifestyle. YouTube has many videos for vegitarianism and veganism. Search for Dr. Esselstyn or the Boutenko Family and learn about Green Smoothies. I have been "mostly vegetarian" for 20 years and believe it has helped keep me healthier and looking younger than my meat and dairy eating peers. As long as you eat healthy vegetarian and not junk vegetarian, you'll be very happy. I'm 40 but constantly being accused of looking 28.

hrongey responded:
I suggest you take a look at the USDA Choline report of 2008 as this will provide the factual information on a variety (600 ) of foods that relate to brain health. As a nutritionist I do not recommend a vegan or vegetarian diet. You may find the free web articles available on my web site helpful in search of truthful info for good health at www.whostoloemyfood.com

jillyyang replied to atsuk's response:
Thanks!

jillyyang replied to clm500's response:
That's awesome! I'm glad you've found a lifestyle that works so well for you!!! I can't wait to read/watch some of the stuff you posted about! Thanks!

jillyyang replied to hrongey's response:
Will do! Thank you!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. You and so many others are opting for a vegetarian diet. Here's a great review by our friends at WebMD
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/vegetarian-and-vegan-diet

Please be aware that by becoming vegetarian you're not guaranteed to become trim and drop boatloads of weight. Veg diets if they are lacto-ovo still have plenty of fattening and sugary sources. The key is to center everything around veggies, lean protein (legumes), some grain and fruit. Couple that with an active lifestyle and you're home!

Log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and you'll see the amazing array of vegetarian options for food plans as well as recipes.

Let us know if we can be of further help.

Good luck!

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Try out this diet plan.
http://8970cixx8q240i4qh9dpvy1kdy.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=RBC31F More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.