Skip to content

Announcements

Nutrition Help Needed
celiap posted:
I had gastric bypass surgery in July, 1993. I lost a total of 175lbs, but seemed to settle at about 143lbs for about 15 years. My weight would go up and down, but then in 2008 I started gaining again(menopausal). Unfortunately, I did not try and stop the gain until I reached 196lbs. I went on Medifast and lost 51lbs, but I did not transition off the plan properly and regained 61lbs. I am back on Medifast, but am losing at a slower pace this time. I must get off the plan before I reach my goal weight of 140(I am 5'2, 64 yrs and a large frame..6.5in wrist).

My concern is that because I can not eat very much tryin g to get in more than enough calories is frustrating. I believe my metabolism is so low that nothing I do seems to get it moving and burning these extra pounds.

My pouch is not stretched that much, sometimes a few bites of a food will cause me to become full. How much in calories should I be getting in each day? I am retired now and fairly sedentary due to arthritis and fibromyalgia.

I know this is a lengthy post, but I have not been able to find any information that is helpful in my current situation. Thanks in advance for any hints, suggestions or advice.
Celia P.

totallywiggedout responded:
Flat out, you need to move more. Even with your fibro and arthritis there are exercises that you can do and MUST do. Cutting calories alone never works in the long run. Diet and exercise is the magic combination.

I am a member on the 50-100 lb weightloss comm here on webmd. Here is a discussion thread that I'd like you to look at. It has some very good threads to sites with free video workouts. A lot of them are seated videos, and ALL of them are easy enough for anyone to do. Truly. I have severe arthritis in lower back, left hip and both knees. You may have to alter some of the exercises, like not bend all the way to the floor, obviously, but if you do your best, you still get the benefits.
And with exercise, every little bit helps.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2753

kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.