Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Was losing weight like water till the last few weeks
wk4cake posted:
I am following the diet and exercise advice of most diet plans, "move more and eat less" and the weight was just dropping off me(I dropped 3 sizes). But in the past few weeks I have been stuck at the same weight. I don't want to cut my calorie down to nothing because I don't want to starve myself and I due to physical problems I can not go out and start PX90 or Shawn T Insanity programs. What else can I try other than "move more and eat less".

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi wk, you've hit a plateau is all. Don't stress it too badly and don't pressure yourself too much by cutting calories. The thing is that short plateaus are a part of dieting. It's a "resting and catch up " period for your body. Remember, if you lose weight too quickly, there will be a lot of loose skin to deal with afterward. Let your body do what it needs to do for a short time.
If it drags out more than a few weeks, it's time to try something new. Caloric cycling seems to work for a lot of us. When your body is used to you feeding it 1200 cal a day every day and doing the exact same amount of exercise, then it just settles into a routine and your metabolism solidifies right there. But , if you do lower your calories , 2 days a week by about 200 or a bit more, then up them the other 3 and throw in maybe one more 10 mn walk or wii game or park a little further from work or the store every time you go, you will really start to see the numbers move again.
The caloric cycling is ok because your Weekly calories work out to the same, but will keep your body guessing, and that will bump your metabolism into burn mode again.
And the little bit more exercise, and it doesn't have to be hard, will also help boost it.
If you have knee probs , back probs or whatever other physical probs, try some of these free videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eUmRwRyWD8&feature=related

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=42

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=38

these are all seated vids, but every little bit helps. They do count as exercise and if you do the sparkpeople core then the zumba or cardio one you get double benefits. Stretching and toning and heartstrengthening.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.