Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Dieting with Cancer
IKandy posted:
I have been doing Chemo for the last 6 months. In that time I was told to eat small meals several times a day, Because of the treatment. I am still doing treatment, But have have put some weight on. I would like to know if there is some sort of a diet plan I can do ? I don't gave a lot of energy right now to do a lot of exercising. Can you point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Take the Poll

What is this ?
  • I don't know what the poll question is
  • Not sure
vote
View Poll Results

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi IKandy. Welcome.
While combating illnesses, it is always best to follow your doctor's recommendations. Unfortunately, when most people are told to eat several small meals a day, some think that it's ok to eat a sandwich or something, 4 times/day, or an actual meal several times a day, which isn't possible without gaining.
Remember though, gaining a bit now, as long as you are eating the absolute healthiest foods possible, may help you combat your condition later on. As you know, that severe weightloss can happen during cancer treatments.. It's better to have a bit of a weight buffer than to struggle with rapid weightloss and its resultant illnesses combined with what you are already going through.
I don't suggest a diet at all, actually. Because of this.
You need to be and EAT as healthy as possible right now especially, and the stress of trying to lose weight isn't what you should be focusing on nor should you put your body through right now.
That said.
'You should focus on eating fresh fruits and veggies, no white carbs and as few reg carbs as you can. Focus on plenty of low fat proteins like boneless skinless chicken, trimmed pork, fish and shellfish, tuna packed in water, etc.
Try not to eat processed foods as much as possible.
Cut as far down on Bad fats , sugars and sodium as you can.
You should ask your dr how many calories you should consume while going through this for sure, then set yourself up with one of the many free online food/calorie/fitness planners online so that you can chart and track your intake and better watch the nutrients you are consuming.
Drink at least 64 oz of water a day, as it helps in digestion, hydration, making fiber rich foods work better for you, and to help flush some toxins out of your system.
There are many cancer community blogs that you can post on , such as the one here, too, that may help with some of your questions.
hope this helps some
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

brunosbud replied to totallywiggedout's response:
TWO,

Very good point about the "weight buffer". Most people lose their appetite during chemotherapy and it becomes very difficult to recover red blood cell counts to prepare for the next round. Anytime you can eat after a treatment, chemo or radiation, it's cause for celebration. Sugar and processed foods will ruin all the hard work a body is doing while fighting both the tumors and the powerful cancer chemicals used during the treatments. Light cardio like walking and getting some sunlight is very beneficial, too, to encourage circulation and oxygenation of repairing tissues.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
199 of 244 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.