Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

What Kind of Exercise Routine?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
It's no secret that, for optimum health, I recommend working out for at least 1 hour, 6 days a week. I know that sounds like a lot to many of you. But you'll be happy to know that I also recommend switching up your workouts on those days. And the intensity should differ, too. Of those 6 days:
-- 2 should include lighter aerobic workouts for the aerobics days
-- 2 should include heavier aerobic workouts
-- 2 should be slated for strength and balance training

Light Aerobics
This means that you're moving, but lightly enough that you aren't straining. During this routine, you should be able to have a conversation without running out of breath.
-- Go for a walk outside. The time passes so quickly when you're walking outdoors. And it turns your light aerobic days into pure pleasure.
-- Pedal lightly on a stationary bike if long walks make your joints ache. You can even watch some TV or read a book while you do it.

Heavy Aerobics
This routine should be a challenge to you. You should be working hard enough that you can give short answers to any questions you're asked. But, no way could you carry on a steady conversation. Your breathing should be hard enough that you're aware of it.

If you start feeling short of breath, you've crossed over from aerobic exercise into anaerobic exercise. This isn't harmful. And playing with anaerobic exercise is important for achieving higher levels of fitness. But it is certainly not necessary for building a healthier body.

Strength Training
Whether you enjoy it or not, it's a wise investment. Loss of muscle mass is one of the hazards of aging -- and strength training counteracts that loss. It really is key to long-term vitality and independence.

If you've never worked with weights, visit your local gym and have a staff member get you started with circuit training. That means you're using standard gym machines in a certain sequence. And it's sure to get you results.

In addition to circuit training, there's a wide range of choices for strength training activities. And you can work with a personal trainer or you can do it on your own.

A dynamic, class-based form of strength training has become popular in many gyms. Many boot camp programs work the same way -- as do some Pilates and yoga classes.

If you join a higher intensity program — vigorous yoga included -- be careful. The chances of being injured go up. So work at your own pace. Be careful and listen to your body. With time, you should be able to get through these programs just fine.

If you have any low-grade aches and pains -- the kinds that are common in many older Americans -- they may decrease or even disappear after you've been strength training for a while. It's often the cure, rather than the cause, for most of the joint problems you could face as you get older.

justcuzz321 responded:
thank you, would 3 hours of lighter aerobic and 3 hours of strength be the same due to physical limitations?

jillwozhere responded:
I agree you should try to exercise every day. Another helpful way to get that exercise without the gym is house/garden work. If you really get into the vacuuming, dusting etc you can get your heartrate up and do a wonderful aerobic workout, while also making your home look great. Personally, I find there is so many things to do around the house that I don't need a great deal of recreational exercise. I have also been busy with renovations, so there is rubbing back walls and painting to do, climbing up and down ladders, as well as general gardening work, raking, sweeping, digging, picking up sticks from the lawn etc. I even get a work out doing the ironing. I put on my favourite music and dance to the beat as I iron, that way I actually enjoy ironing! I also like to do as Mr Miyagi in the Karate Kid taught Daniel "wax on wax off" etc using each hand, not just the dominant one, so you build strength in the weaker limb. It's amazing what a great, all over, strength and aerobic workout you can get just by keeping busy and being productive around the house. For recreational exercise I try to find at least a couple of days a week to ride my horse or bike, or do something else like swim, hike, etc. I also agree with Henry, that if you build up the muscles in your back and knees, (importantly learning to use the correct tecnique that does not strain, rather than strengthen), you can overcome many niggly problems that unhealthy people have, such as dicky knees and sore backs. It is important to understand that building up to the weight and correct technique is vital in strength training of any kind or you could end up doing more damage than good. As for diet, it is important to eat healthy, for your body's sake. You can't just think if you just exercise and are a good weight, it doesn't matter what you eat. It matters! To your insides! This abuse of the body with food is often to blame when you hear about Joe Blow the fitness freak who just dropped dead of heart attack! Wow, who'd have thought? He looked so fit - on the outside, but what were greasy hamburges and fries and soda doing to his insides? The WebMD Food and Fitness Planner is also a great resource to help you understand how many calories you are consuming a day as well as how many you burn per day.

Uiopo replied to jillwozhere's response:
Hello guys..i totally agrre with your daily routine exercise..but i do 1 hour exercise earlu up in the morning and in the noon i again exercise and in the evening i also do exercise...can yuou do exercise in 3 times a day??

Uiopo replied to Uiopo's response:
Hello guys..i totally agrre with your daily routine exercise..but i do 1 hour exercise earlu up in the morning and in the noon i again exercise and in the evening i also do exercise...can yuou do exercise in 3 times a day??

http://www.primescales.com/store/

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.