Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Is HGH a REAL weight loss theropy solution or just another SCAM?
An_249509 posted:
Results for: I an 43 recently divorced after a nightmare 10 year marriage I am 5' 8 tall 245-250 pounds I don't want to rule the world just look good in my uniforms and regular clothes. I do want to lose weight gain lean muscle mass and have more engery stamina and strength I always feel better after my work outs 20 to 30 minutes on a treadmill and 45 minutes on weight lifting circuits no free weights due to injuries in the military I have friends have begun an HGH treatment program with the HealthGains system So is HGH for real or just a waste of money and time?

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. Save your money. Human growth hormone is approved for use in people with a true deficiency. It does not result in any miraculous weight reduction, costs exorbitant amount of money and can be dangerous causing problems with ligaments and joints, as well as altering blood sugar levels. In a word, run!

OK, so you are currently carrying a heck of a lot more weight than is healthy. You're also 43 and therefore in the midst of your peri-menopausal journey. In my book Fight Fat after Forty, i have a few tricks up my sleeve to help you get started, achieve your goals and sustain them. Instead of staring at the scale, let's do something novel. Whip a tape measure across your belly button and get your waist circumference. Your goal is to get below 35 inches. That's a healthy and doable goal for you. The next thing is to grab your clothes-o-meter---- that's what i call a piece of clothing that within about 5 pounds or so you'll be able to fit into. For women it's often a pair of jeans. Use this to monitor your progress on a weekly basis. Once that clothes-o-meter fits, you find another one and keep going until one day the clothes you wear every day are your final healthiest clothes-o-meter for life. These are neat ways to stay accountable to your new healthy behaviors and the rewards you'll reap.

I'm thrilled you love your workouts. You don't have to kill yourself. What you need are to stay consistent, regularly hitting your cardio and your strength training. The exercise alone will not cause weight reduction. You have to stay on top of your nutrition. Log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner today and get started. Also, take the food addiction quiz http://www.drpeeke.com/PopQuiz.htm and make sure to eliminate those hyperpalatable food combs sugary/fatty/salty that you're hooked on and keep throwing you back into overeating.

So, bag the HGH and get into a real authentic and credible program of weight management that will yield lifelong results.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

Dr. Peeke

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.