Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Need advice
NyAngel2013 posted:
I am 36 years and the last couple years I have really put on the pounds. I had two surgeries earlier this year. They were real eye openers. I want to take off about 40 lbs. It seems like I have no energy and I am always hungry. I also want to quit smoking and I have tried the gum and patch. I want a healthier life stly and don;t no where to begin. when I have tried to quit smoking I get miserable and then I eat. Any suggestions. ALso does anyone know of a good fitness video for someone who has not exercised in years.

brunosbud responded:
I know you've heard this plenty of times: You must get up and move. Everything, biologic, is tied to activity and continuous motion. In fact, I hate the word "exercise" and how the term is used, today, because it trivializes the critical importance of movement to our health and wellness.

No two people do the same way, share the same family history, interact with the same folks, ingest the same things or perform the same activities during the course of each day...But, at the core of every "train wreck" you've read on this board there is one common thread:

Sedentarism...our refusal to say "NO" to a seat cushion.

Proper appetite, sleep quality, digestion and regularity, immune system function, mood and mental clarity, blood sugar regulation, sex drive...everything is tied to movement. Being a former alcoholic & smoker, I can easily state, without hesitation, the best way to quit is to walk you a$$ off (especially, before and after every meal). In fact, to defeat any addiction, movement is recommended & encouraged.

Motion trumps emotion. Sedentarism allows us to make "choices" (mostly, bad ones) while motion returns our bodies to "automatic pilot" and back into the safe and healing hands of nature...

and, that's where you need to go.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. First, it's great that you contacted us and want to change. Yea for you! You've been hit with the stress of life--- surgeries and probably plenty more. You have an addictive component to your genetics with your smoking. This also, by the way, means you probably have an issue with food and addiction as well. Take the Yale University Food Addiction Assessment http://www.drpeeke.com/PopQuiz.htm and see where you are.
Regarding the smoking, talk with your doctor about Chantix or Wellbutrin as prescriptions to help you with your nicotine addiction. I will also tell you that meditation is very powerful in helping you both with the smoking as well as any of your food cravings. Transcendental meditation is a powerful tool as is Mindfulness meditation. But, you must practice it daily for it to work optimally.
Log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner right now and input your data for a great overall plan. Complement that with my book The Hunger Fix which will customize the food plan for any problems you have with foods you are hooked on, like the refined and processed sugary/fatty/salty food combos that trigger you.
Good luck and please let us know how you're doing. We're here to help and support you.
Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.