Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Hip dysplasia
klas88 posted:
Hello i am a 24yr old mother of a 2 1/2 yr old. I was born with hip dysplasia and I have had surgery on both of my hips but i dont what type of tennis shoes that I need to wear, I am trying to loose weight as well. I do Zumba everyday on the xbox 360 kinect and my problem is also that I dont know how to eat healthy or prepare healthy meals for my family. Could someone please help on these issues.

Thanks

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. The great news is that you're young and have to be somewhat active with your little one running around 24/7. I would highly recommend that you call your orthopedist's office and get a referral to a great physical therapist. With bilateral hip surgeries, you need to be careful about what kind of shoes and activity you're engaging in. I love Zumba but there's a lot of hip torsion throughout the regimens so you shouldn't be doing a lot of quick jarring motions. You need an expert to fit you with the correct shoes.This is where the PT comes in, as they know precisely how to measure your full range of motion. I wouldn't rely upon just any shoe salesperson. Listen to the PT and get the best shoe store and brand referrals.

Meanwhile, log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner right now and start your healthy nutrition journey for you and your family. It's the best plan!

Good luck,

Dr. Peeke

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
195 of 240 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.