Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
1200 calorie diet
Blazer posted:
Any suggestions for a 1200 calorie diet? What can I eat?

abnersmom responded:
First, log on to a food tracker either here or one of the numerous other sites, e.g., fitday.com, sparkpeople, etc. Then plan your meals every day. Lean proteins, whole grains, veggies, fruit should be the major foods that you consume. Track everything including drinks. Before maintenance, here is a typical day for me: 1 C. old fashioned oatmeal with blueberries and a few walnuts, green leafy salad with 2 tblsp. of dressing and other veggies, broiled chicken breast, broccoli, and fruit or yogurt for snack. Hope this helps.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting Blazer. Before you jump into a 1200 calorie "diet", let's wait a minute. You need a comprehensive plan of action. Please log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner right now. Input all of your data so that the plan is customized. 1200 cal may not be the best number for you. One of my most successful patients did superbly well on 1400 cals. Your height, weight, age, medical status, physical activity all have to be factored in.

It won't take you long, so please start today. And we're here to support your efforts!

Good luck and let's hear more from you,

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.