Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
HCG
Darrisaw50 posted:
I am seriously considering trying the HCG injections. Can someone give pros or con ?

brunosbud responded:
http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-10-25-lbs-exchange/forum/276/22

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for you posting. My advice is simple. Don't do it. Not only is it a monumental waste of money. The FDA has made it clear that consumers should steer clear of any products claiming to contain HCG.

HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin which is a hormone produced during pregnancy. HCG is used primarily to treat fertility problems. It's not approved for over the counter use nor has it ever been proven to produce weight loss. Any company selling OTC HCG for weight loss is not in compliance with the law.

There is no magic to this "diet". You undergo severe caloric restriction generally consuming only 600-800 cals per day. Anyone can starve themselves and drop weight, but as a result of this, you lose muscle, and may suffer other problems such as an irregular heartbeat, imbalance of electrolytes, gallstones and poor muscle and nerve functioning.

Do yourself a favor and log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner right now. Don't fall for the hype. If you ever want to achieve a fit and healthy body and mind, you will never do this overnight with some scam "diet" and false promises.

Join us here on the community and we'll help you on your journey.

Good luck,

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.