Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Diet plan
LorieThomas posted:
I am 45 years old and working on losing 50 pounds. Last year I did the HCG and lost the weight but it is now back. I have never tried to control my diet or exercise and am overwhelmed with how to take control of this myself. I am looking at working at the gym 3 to 4 days a week and a calorie plan of 1500 calories. I am lost on how to starting creating a food plan? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Lorie

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. So many people out there are talking about the HCG "diet" and alas, as i have noted time and time again, this is an inexpensive and ineffective way to drop weight. In essence, you're starving yourself and paying for useless injections. I'm sorry you had to go through this cycle of weight loss and regain. The great news is that you're pumped up and ready to do this so that you can cut this cycle once and for all.

Please please log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner right now. It's a comprehensive customized plan where you input your data and out comes a flexible and effective plan for not only dropping the weight but also sustaining weight loss for the long term. You'll be looking at how to balance physical activity along with better nutrition as well.

While you're at it, take this Yale University Assessment to check to see if you have an issue with being hooked on certain foods http://www.drpeeke.com/PopQuiz.htm. This will help to further customize your food plan by eliminating specific sugary/fatty/salty food combos that contribute to food addiction, as i note in my book The Hunger Fix.

For your exercise, please get up and assume the vertical throughout the day. It's not just about hitting the gym. Every day you have countless opportunities to get up and keep moving. Walk every day. It's great for mind and body. Do it alone or with a buddy, with or without music, but walk. It's one of the best ways to get your metabolism going in your favor.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing. We're here to support you in any way we can.

Dr. Peeke

pdank replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
First of all Lori, diets do not work. Period. You can lose weight on almost any diet but, without changing your lifestyle of eating you will always gain your weight back as soon as you quit dieting!
By lifestyle change I mean a complete change in the way you were ceating. No more of the foods thet "fattened" you up in the first place. You need to learn what foods are good for you and eat a healthy diet.
Most obesity is caused by the S.A.D. (SAD AMERICAN DIET) that is very acidic toward your body. Google the PH diet (probably cal;led the PH lifestyle) and look at it. It is NOT a vegan diet but you eat a lot of fresh veggies and fruits. A simple diet. Foods are listed as acidic and alkaline and you eat 80% of your foods from the alkaline side and 20% from the acidic side, which allows you to eat most anything. THey reccomend which foods to avoid, which ones to limit.
Whichever program you chose to lose weight, make sure it has a program for changing your lifestyle of eating or you are throwing your money away as well as your health..

jltorosian responded:
I've had a lot of luck with the Weight Watchers plan. I've lost 36 pounds so far by changing what I eat and increasing my exercise. I've got 50 more pounds to go to get to my goal, but when I step back and look at where I started, I'm amazed at how changing some easy components in my life has made my life so much easier and more fulfilling. I don't work for WW, but it might sound like I do. I had never been able to lose weight before starting on this plan and I love it.

stellajasmin responded:
For a long time I was very overweight and I had many health problems as the result, including type 2 diabetes. I was in my mid-40's and I was pushing the envelope. My cholesterol was very high as well. My doctor was egging me to lose the weight and change the way I was eating for a few years (which was alot of junk food - I even ate alot of junk when I was diabetic, thinking that if it had sweeteners in it and no sugar it was okay ... but it was not - white flour alone converts to sugar and creates fat in the body)). At one point he asked me to see a nutritionist who worked for him in his office and I finally agreed. When I did so, something inside me just turned. Immediately, I decided to change my ways. When I went home, I tossed out all my junk food and anything I had that had sugar and white flour in it. Immediately I started losing weight. I ate whole wheat foods (not too much of them), lean proteins, vegetables and fruits. I did not go on a diet, just a lifestyle change. I ate healthy foods only and I would stay away from white flour, starchy foods, too much sugar and too much fat as much as I could. I did not want to go to the gym so I started doing exercises from the comfort of my own home. Mostly I do aerobic dancing to music and sometimes I follow an aerobic video. I exercise about 5 times a week, between half an hour to an hour each time. I do not feel deprived ... I eat a row of dark semi-sweet chocolate (at least 70 percent cocoa with not too much sugar) every day ... it is good for you and has anti-oxidants. I also pay attention to nutrition facts on the packages of food I decide to buy. I stopped drinking sodas and diet sodas, too. I cooked only healthy foods and I had fun with the seasonings to make them taste great. I also started a love affair with water. I lost over 86 pounds in a year and a half. Overeating and eating the wrong foods is really bad, and you need to convince your mind that you don't want it because of that fact. That worked for me. Good luck, and have patience with yourself. The best way is to lose about 2 pounds a week so it does not come back too fast for any reason. And, don't go hungry, just eat the right foods but don't overeat that, either. By the way, my doctor has said my cholesterol is much better, and I have been off my diabetic medication for over a year now since I lost all that weight (it was determined from blood tests). I feel great, and you will too when you decide to eat healthy and follow proper portions. Exercise does not have to be in a gym, and you can make it alot of fun. Like I said, good luck and believe in yourself )

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.