Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
high blood pressure
les220 posted:
what diet should i be on to lose weight and also lower my blood pressure? i am 56yrs. old 5-6" tall and 198lbs. i had health eval. done for my insurance and i have high blood pressure, borderline diabetes, and borderline cholesterol. thank you for any help you can give me.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. It's great to know you got the wake up call and are now going to help yourself with lifestyle changes. This is all great. As you embark on this, please make certain you're coordinating all of this with your medical team. I'm not sure if you're already on BP meds or any other meds so please check in with them and team up on your plan.

Log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and input your current info. You'll be provided with a customized strategy to help you get going and stay on track.

Simple things you can start doing right now:

Get up and walk every single day you can, logging in 10,000 steps a day as a goal. Grab a pedometer which you can get anywhere. Or if you want to be fancy, the Nike Fuel wristband to track all of your activity. There are lots of ways to do this and you can check fitness apps for your smartphone as well. Walking is terrific for reducing your BP as well as sugar and cholesterol. Consistency is key to success.

Eliminate or significantly reduce your intake of refined sugar. Read labels carefully. Same goes for saturated fats.

Establish realistic and relevant goals. You're belly is key. Whip a tape measure around your belly button and note your waist size. A woman needs to be 30-34" and a man 34-36" to eliminate the metabolic syndrome which is hi cholesterol, diabetes and HBP.

Get started today and let us know how you're doing. We're here to help support you all the way.

Good luck

Dr Peeke

Uiopo responded:
Hello les..i totally read out your post and in my point of view one thing is good for the lose weight is that you drink more and more water..your weight is automatically klose and other thing your blood pressure..avoid the oil food and specially salty foods...

les220 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
thank you, i am not on any meds, and want to lower my bp without them if possible.

msh1950 responded:
walking is good for loosing weight and drinking water

PetuniaPea responded:
I found something on WebMd that can hopefully help you on your quest to lower your blood pressure. It's the DASH diet...Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.

From what I can tell, it should also help with diabetes and cholesterol levels as well.

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/dash-diet

This should get you started, you can check out Further Reading at the bottom of that page, and I also know there are books and other resources on the DASH diet if you so choose to explore! Good luck!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

PetuniaPea responded:
Try the DASH diet...Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. I found this here on WebMd:

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/dash-diet

From the looks of it, it can probably also help with borderline diabetes, cholesterol levels, and weight loss!

Hope this helps!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

nutrprof replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Yes, the DASH diet has been well studied, has been recommended by major health care organizations. It is also consistent with the US Dietery guidelines for Americans.

Diet related factors that help reduce blood pressure include weight loss, increased fruit and vegetables, increased fiber, decreased salt/sodium intake, increased potassium, magnesium and calcium intake. The DASH diet covers them all plus reduces the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some forms of cancer. As an aside-- also rated the top diet by US News and World report for the 3rd year in a row!

bobby75703 replied to nutrprof's response:
I think lifestyle changes are important in lowering BP. I tend to shy away from pills. However I must admit L-Arginine has demonstrated a profound effect on lowering my BP.

sahasrangshu responded:
Hi,

You should undertake a DASH diet for your high blood pressure.It is better if you curtail high fat and sugary food and consume a lot of green leafy vegetables and fish like salmon,tuna and mackerel,all baked and not fried.You should quit smoking and reduce your alcohol intake to 1 peg each day.You should also drink water in profusion and not fizzy drinks and do light aerobic exercises or yoga for 30 minutes a day 5 days a week.Please check your Vitamin D level in blood and contact a doctor if your level is inadequate.Do not panic and follow these general guidelines and take your medicines regularly and you shall smile all the way through for the rest of your life.

Regards

Dr.S.Gupta

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.