Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
xrcise from a wheelchair.
Dawn1959 posted:
I have a question, I am In a wheelchair 80% of the time, the other 20% of the time I am In my lounge chair. what kind of xrcise can I do?.
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. If you have mobility with your upper body, there are plenty of exercises you can do. These are often referred to as chair exercises, minus the use of your legs (which I assume you cannot use at all). Make sure to log onto the WebMD Fitness Video and Slide archive for a more detailed description of specific exercises.

You'll be concentrating on strengthening your core by contracting and releasing your muscles, optimizing your posture. This also helps you back muscles as well. Slouching can be a real problem and places too much of a burden on your vertebral column causing eventual collapse.

The next set of muscles are your chest (pecs) and shoulders (deltoids). This is then followed by your smaller muscles which are your biceps and triceps. You'll be adding in neck stretches and reaching up high above your head stretches.

If you do have any mobility with your legs, of course you'd add leg straightening and quad strengthening work with simple leg raises. Back stretches include leg straightening and reaching out to touch your toes.

Zumba has a great chair exercise program on DVD. Do what you can to their wonderful music. Meanwhile WebMD has a wonderful archive so log onto it now and start organizing your simple plan.

You should try to do a simple regimen every day to keep your muscles in shape. Muscles melt away very quickly as you age so all of this is important to address right away.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
227 of 272 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.