Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
gastric sleeve
eacorbin posted:
hi my name is beth had gastric sleeve surgery on december tenth and lost a pound or more everyday but for the last week i havent lost anything and i am very worried that i am doing something wrong. at my doctors office they were not real thorough with all the nutruion so i dont really know what im doing wrong.. any tips would be greatly appreciated. lost 22 lbs since surgery.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks for your posting. You need to march back into your doctor's office and have a consultation with their nutritionist. All credible bariatric offices have an in-house nutrition expert usually a registered dietitian. You must do this as they are responsible for you post op and should be tracking your progress. Be assertive and demand this as this is routine follow up. It hasn't even been a month so you're covered.

You should be logging everything you eat, including how much you're consuming at every feeding time. You should be on your multivitamins as well and hydrating appropriately. This food log needs to be examined by the nutritionist. Are you physically active? Again, the bariatric office should be providing those guidelines as well. Walking is best and it should be going on every day.

Weight reduction postop is a tricky thing with bariatric surgery. Everyone's experience is unique. At some point, and it could be at 22 pounds or 122 pounds, a plateau often occurs. This is why you need to be carefully observing what you're doing as you go along, as adjustments need to be made.

It's imperative that you steer completely clear of any refined or processed sugars. Make certain you're not undereating as that will cool down your metabolism, another reason for slow or interrupted weight loss. Smaller feedings of a balance of lean and healthy protein, carb and fat throughout the day help to stave that off.

Call your doc's office today and get in as soon as possible. Bring your logs with you.

Let us know how you're doing.

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
273 of 338 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.