Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Starting a Diet at 53 Years Old (Male)
Bigboy238 posted:
I joined the site and was looking for a way to start a diet. I am a male age 53 years old. 5' 11" weighing in at 238 Lbs. I feel miserable at this time in my life. Just bending down is a challenge. I love the normal food that any average person like, like burgers Fry's and a lots of Root Beer Soda..I know the Soda is my biggest challenge and it needs to be cut out completely..I indulge in app. 54 Ounces a day or less. I need to change my way of eating and try to get the calories down to at least 2000 a day to get back down to 200 Lbs which is my goal..I love fruits and vegatable's..I am very active daily in my job and get lots of exercise, but it makes me want to eat more to sustain my energy level. Can anyone recommend a site that would give me some good diet food recipes to loo at and see what would work good for me with my very busy schedule. I love blended drinks and foods, expecially with fruits and vegetables. Any help would be greatly appreciated

melmac2008 responded:
I found this website to be helpful. It has a lot of smoothie recipes as well as breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas. Good luck with your weightloss goals.

http://www.eatingwell.com/

brunosbud responded:
My best advice is to treat your condition on a clinical level.

Obesity is not a disease for the "do-it-yourselfer". Obesity should be addressed in partnership with your doctor, not Home Depot. You may have high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, or high blood sugar that can frustrate and impede your weight loss progress. You may have sleep apnea that impairs your body from repairing tissue, recover from injury or fight infection. You may suffer depression that makes you want to quit and lay down, diminishes sex drive, and react, negatively, to family members, friends, co-workers and healthcare professionals.

The complexity of obesity and its effects on your systems are enormously far reaching. If you believe you can lose the weight by eating this, drinking that and, whispering, "moderation, moderation, moderation", I wish you the best of luck...

I really do...

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

peparing breakfast the night before
I can plan my breakfast in advance and plan ahead , "when awake". This way one can decide the proper nutrients . More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.