Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

I need short term low cal. diet suggestions
bukwurm posted:
I am a 52 year old male who is 5'8" and weights 270 lbs. I am sure I can maintain a weight level I should be at, if I can attain it. I would like to start with a disciplined low cal diet if I could find one, to kick start things, then go to a healthy eating habits. Could someone suggest a solid, low cal diet, maybe 1200 calories or less, that I could use for getting things started in the short term? Is there some type of healthy shake or supplement that would help with this. I currently have diabetes, high blood pressure and a fatty liver, and I have become highly motivated to lose some major weight. I have also started exercising, which includes cardio and weight training. Any help is appreciated.

PetuniaPea responded:
I wouldn't go less than 1200 calories per day, or your weight loss can backfire as your body tries to hold onto weight as your metabolism slows...your body has a mind of its own and will think that food is scarce and it needs to hold onto every ounce you got!

Check out your local health food store or Trader Joes for protein shakes. I have one every morning with unsweetened almond milk, frozen blueberries, a banana, protein powder no more than 130 calories, and 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed...blend and enjoy...300 calories give or take and I'm full for hours.

Lunch can be a big salad with 1/2 cup to a whole cup of beans...salad dressing is homemade: 1 tablespoon of olive oil, fresh lime juice, salt and pepper to taste...this will end up being around 300-400 calories.

Mid afternoon snack can be an apple with a few nuts...150 calories!

Dinner can be lean protein with lots of veggies...400 calories.

Back to the protein shake...there's lots to choose from, it doesn't really matter which one you get as long as you like the taste...there's whey, soy, hemp, brown rice protein powders...I personally like hemp or any vegan protein powder from Whole Foods Market...if you have this every morning, along with keeping your calories around 1200-1600 (yes, you can go up to 1600 and still lose weight, in fact, it constantly keeps your metabolism guessing and working at peak condition if you eat 1200 one day, then 1400 the next few days, then 1200 for a couple days, then 1600 the next day, and on and on!), plus exercising, you will lose weight.

Cutting out sugar has also helped me tremendously...I don't crave sweets anymore, which was my big problem since I was addicted to it for my whole life. So I'm not tempted by sugary snacks, candies, and desserts anymore and can therefore stay within my allowed calories for the day.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

bukwurm replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I printed you comments out and I'm going to add them into my diet lineup!

PetuniaPea replied to bukwurm's response:
You're welcome...and good luck with your "diet" (not a huge fan of that word) that will hopefully become better "lifestyle choices" (yeah, that sounds better!) for the rest of your life!

marknanrog responded:
Good suggestions from PetuniaPea. Find some meals that work for you and that you can stick with. I tried smoothies for breakfast, but didn't really enjoy them. Now I do an egg, bacon, and fruit. It helps me to lower carbs and that satisfies me til lunch. For lunch I've recently tried a salad topped with a little Ranch, lentils cooked in taco seasoning, and a corn tortilla baked until crunchy and crushed into chips. Add some fruit and it is a great lunch. It does help to automate some meals. You know the calorie intake and don't make last minute food choices that might be regretted later.

PetuniaPea replied to marknanrog's response:
Agree, marknanrog. I tend to stick with similar breakfasts and lunches, snacks, and only change up my dinners. I pretty much know all the calories of the things that I eat, so if I need to do a quick calculation, I can do it right before dinner to see how many calories I can have for the rest of the night, give or take.

bukwurm replied to marknanrog's response:
Thank you for your suggestions! I find that I have actually automated my breakfast/lunchs, as you suggested. I may have small variations, but I enjoy what I'm eating, and it's much easier to prepare and monitor the calories involved!

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.