Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Stay at home mom
An_249755 posted:
I am 26 and am technically obese. I am looking to lose 50-60 lbs. My otroubles are sweets and depression. My husband works overnights sso thats hard for us, we have 3 boys ages 8, 7, and 2 that I have at hhome with me constantly. I want to do this for me, to feel better about myself but at the end of my day I am so exhausted I dont have the motivation to workout and I dont have anyone that can "Make me" do it (like a weorkout buddy). What advise or suggestions do you have for me?

brunosbud responded:
You words indicate depression. What you've written indicates circular reasoning, ie. a closed loop. At every turn, you're "trapped"...

"technically" obese? Why not just say, I am "not" obese, instead?

As everyone knows, the world works in opposites. In your mind, you think you will have less energy once you begin a moderate, daily exercise program. Wrong; you will have more. In your mind, you think you need "supporters" to motivate your efforts. Wrong; everyone loves the solitary fighter. You will have supporters coming out of the woodwork after you commit to fighting for yourself, alone.

Despite your present state, please, don't despair. And, please, do not continue to ignore your gut instincts. Your body is telling you to move, now. To take a walk. To breathe fresh air. To run and play with your kids and laugh with your husband. It's a million years of evolutionary refinement coming to your rescue.

So, talk with your doctor and let him/her know you need help, now. That's the first act of courage you must take...

Like I said, the world works in opposites...

PetuniaPea responded:
If you can make the conscious decision to give up sweets, not cold turkey, but slowly over a peroid of weeks or months, you will have your energy back.

I know this first-hand! I gave up all things refined, sugar, specifically, and instantly felt better.

I was a sugar addict and felt depressed...so what did I do? I continued to eat more sugar to try to feel better. Big mistake.

Sugar is the enemy, disguised as a sweet, loveable, friendly treat. Once consumed, you only feel good for about, eh, 30 minutes or so. Then you feel worse off than before. And the vicious cycle continues.

This is how I started. I gave up breakfast cereal, which is what I had lived on my whole life, for breakfast, lunch or dinner I'd have sugary cereal! In it's place I have a fruit and protein smoothie, or a real whole grain cereal in the morning like quinoa and chopped dates and walnuts. For dinner, I'll make a homemade veggie and bean soup!

Then I swapped out candy and candy bars for fruit and nut bars...there's a ton of different varieties at Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or other health food stores. Make sure there's no hidden sugar like "cane juice" or "brown rice syrup" etc. Just fruit and nuts. I love Larabars for instance.

Then I traded in after-dinner desserts with sugar free gum!

Then I stopped drinking sugar drinks and replaced it with plain water or water with lemon or lime juice.

You get the picture. It took me a couple months...it IS possible. I did it alone. Of course I told my husband my plan, so I was accountable to someone, which can help. But doing it for yourself feels...GOOD!

If you follow all the advice so far, you'll feel better, lose the weight almost effortlessly, and have more energy!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Bamanda86 replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Thank you and you are right! I CAN do this!!

PetuniaPea replied to Bamanda86's response:
You're welcome...once you start making small changes, keep track of how you feel, what your skin looks like, etc. Don't beat yourself up if you fall back on bad habits, just take note of your energy level, if you broke out with acne the next day (this is me, which is why I keep mentioning skin appearance. If I sneak a cookie or two, I'll wake up the next day or so with a bunch of zits! I won't beat myself up about it, it just motivates me to not reach for the cookies again!)

barbara99 responded:
I just want to re-emphasize this : Get out and walk every day. Time yourself 20 minutes a day the first week, and start working up to 45-60 minutes a day. You can even split it up into segments, but walk as briskly as possible. I also have 3 boys. I used to put the little guy in the stroller and walk while the others were in school. You will lose weight and feel energized. Walking is recomended for depression also.
Besides this, drink a lot of water, no sugary drinks. Really limit your food portions. If you do this, you'll see results. Good luck, I know you can do it!

Helloj replied to PetuniaPea's response:
I so needed the advice, thank you. I workout some then come home and eat sweets. I feel so hungry but, then feel disgusted with myself, I will take your suggestions. I will lose my fat!!!

valoispq replied to Helloj's response:
I cut out all bread and any refined carbs, pie, cake etc...I walk the dog but not for miles, just around the block. Once I cut out the refined carbs my craving for sweets stopped. I lost 50 lbs in 6 mos. Good luck.

PetuniaPea replied to valoispq's response:
Cutting out refined carbs is great advice! I completely agree that the craving for sweets goes away.

PetuniaPea replied to Helloj's response:
You're welcome! Don't beat yourself up over your sweets binges, just tell yourself you'll make a better choice next time. Being positive, and putting a positive spin on weight loss will make you more successful at losing the weight and keeping it off.

Something that worked for me...STOP stocking your house with tempting sweets or other not-so-good-for-you foods.

Instead, these are just my suggestions...stock your pantry with:

Sweet potatoes (make your own baked sweet potato fries!)
Dates (eat solo, or chop them up and add to oatmeal or quinoa...add walnuts or other nuts, too.)
Raisins
Apples
Bananas
Oranges or minneolas
Coconut water
Larabars (fruit and nut bars) with no added sugar (Health food stores sell them without sugar, but shockingly, the same company adds sugar to the bars they sell at Target...maybe because they are appeasing to their consumers???)

These are all natural, real foods that can hopefully satisfy your sweet tooth...

Helpful Tips

MOVE Program
If you are a Military Veteran, check out the VA MOVE program. It involved 6 short meetings with lots of information and discussion. I went ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.