Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Can green goffee bean extract and garcinia cambogia be taken together???
cajungal328 posted:
Ok, I have been reading alot of rave reviews about both of these dietary suppliments for weight loss, as well as lowering cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure, etc... I ordered some of the green coffee extract, and I'm thinking about ordering some garcinia cambogia as well.

What I want to know is, since these two suppliments do different jobs in the body, the green coffee balances glucose levels and alters glucose absorbtion, and garcinia cambogia curbs appetite, prevents fat production, and converts existing fat into energy, would it be safe, and / or beneficial to take these two suppliments together?

I'm not a doctor or an herbalist, but to me, it sounds like, with along with a more healthy diet and exercise, it could be a very effective combination, but I would like to know if it would be safe to take them together?

cajungal328 replied to brunosbud's response:
Actually, both dietary suppliments were featured on the Dr. Oz show

PS... You don't have to be rude and insulting

brunosbud responded:
Sorry, no offense...
its just whenever I see questions like "is it safe?", I often wonder if the person asking ever considered that tens of thousands of others may be in a more desperate, more isolated and more precarious condition than they are...

cajungal328 replied to brunosbud's response:
I'll forgive you this time..

Just for the record, I'm not one of these lazy, stupid people who doesn't know how to lose weight, who wants to find a magic pill to make all their fat disappear, like Samantha twinkling her nose, and POOF, flab is gone... I am a woman, 5'3" tall, and 2 yrs ago, I was 140 lbs overweight (topped the scales at 270). I have since lost half that weight, on my own, with no help. I am now 200 - 205. But, I hit 4 month plateau, and I was looking for a little boost.. not a magic fix me upper...

I saw these both featured on Dr. Oz and thought maybe I should try them out. Since one if unroasted coffee beans, and the other a type of fruit, I don't see where it would hurt to take them together, but I don't know...

totallywiggedout replied to cajungal328's response:
Hi Cajun, here's where I'm going to jump in.
You have done very well so far in your journey to become healthier and lighter...hitting plateaus is rough, isn't it?? Like you I seem to have hit one about the same time and am still trying to find my way across "the divide".
But I have to say this... every suppliment that is featured on shows or in magazines PAY for that advertisement spot. You know this. That means that even though they may not be FDA approved , which suppliments usually aren't , they still get the top spots on shows like Oz because they can afford that spot , not because Oz actually personally would endorse or USE this stuff.
That said,
dietary suppliments are by and large not necessary in our society because we have such an abundance of nutritional foods readily available to us.
Supplimentation is necessary in un/under developed countries because those people are either starving, or have found that the plants arent poisonous and add some roughage or are "filling" to help not be so hungry.
Since it hasn't killed "the natives" it's then brought over and sold as a suppliment to higher earning , developed countries.
Makes money, but does it actually work??? It may, but then, it may be a "mind over matter" thing too, where you convince yourself you feel better because 1. you've spent the money on it and 2. Dr Oz says it's good for you.......
Sure, pure unadulterated coffee beans, green, brown or purple for that matter will help you lose some weight.... they are chock full of caffeine after all....
But without scientific study, FDA approval and TESTS to find out the reactivity of one along with another... Are you actually willing to bet your health on it???
Stay the path... drink lots of water, chart everything you eat to help find the weight restraining culprits, exercise a bit more..... the plateau will end and once again you will be on your way, without having to spend for otc suppliments and questionable ways to "boost" your metabolism.
huggs
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

brunosbud replied to cajungal328's response:
Thx.

I think the word "disease" can be misleading at times. I prefer to refer to Obesity as a "reaction" to negative eating factors. Same goes for Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease, Fatty liver, arthritis, depression &, yes, hypothyroidism...

Reactions?...Reactions from what? Bad food and too many calories, of course!

But, there are many "factors" that can affect weight gain that have nothing to do with food. Alcohol is a big one. Pharmaceutics may resolve symptoms you may suffer but they may also do damage in other parts of the body, too...dope, pain pills, steroids, antibiotics, nsaids, supplements and mega vitamins...its astounding what people shovel these days thinking that it's all good and no repercussions can come of it!

Sleep quality is huge. Activity level has the greatest impact, imo. Exposure to pollution and industrial/household chemicals and cosmetics can unquestionably impair health. Chronic, unrelenting stress weakens immune health and leaves the body vulnerable to attack...

The trick to solving the weight loss conundrum, imo, is to continuously play your body as a rubic's cube and pinpoint & identify the sources of pressure causing you to eat, more. For me, sleep was a big source of my problem (sleep apnea). Alcohol ruins my body, even small amounts, I found...it leaves me defenseless and weak (I am a recovering alcoholic). Finally, controlling and moderating stress through frequent walks with my dogs bought me back. It is unquestionably the cornerstone of my system in fighting Type 2 Diabetes and Obesity. It controls my blood sugar, builds muscles, and balances body chemistry. Nothing comes close to what my walks do for my body in terms of stress and relaxation. Sex continues to play an important and essential role, too.

When you look at the multitude of factors that go into causing us to eat in excess it requires a very high level of investigation and experimentation to unravel the "hot buttons", ie. the root causes for one's dysfunctional eating habits.

When you gain weight, uncontrollably, your body is "reacting". Therefore, in order to lose the weight, forever, you must eliminate or at least minimize the sources causing this "reaction". There may be many, it is clearly complex and you must be diligent, methodical and patient in your approach. Everybody knows this! That's not the problem...

The problem is, everybody thinks they're qualified for the job.

brunosbud replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Very good observations, two. Also, congratulations, cajungal, on your excellent work and results. I hope you feel very, very proud of yourself because you deserve to! Well done!

ls1082 responded:
Hi I was wondering the same thing, did you ever get an answer? Thanks

ralphebuoy replied to ls1082's response:
also was wondering if you can combine the two and reading these responses was no help at all. if you don't know the answer to the question keep your judgments to yourself.are there any health professionals reading these questions who can be of some help? let's review the question can you take green coffee bean and garcinia cambogia together? the possible answers are: (yes and why)(,no and why), and i don't know. i'm 66 years old i have lived a healthy lifestyle for many years now, i exercise on a regular basis, i try to stay away from overly processed food.i have been taking green coffee bean for several months along with amino acids and whey protein for muscle my doctor is overjoyed with my fitness level and says keep doing what your doing. i would like to lose some belly fat that's all, and tone up a little, is that too much to ask

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
HI and thanks so much for your posting. I know that the OZ show on TV has been promoting the use of both of these as weight management supplements. Frankly, i'd save your money and do what most of the folks in the Diet Community exchange have found. Profound and sustainable change occurs when people incorporate mental (meditation, determination, clear focus on a realistic goal), nutritional (whole foods), and physical (more movement every day) fitness behavioral changes in their life.

No supplement can substitute for that. Popping one of these is not going to reduce your appetite when you're stressed, sleep deprived and worn out. A strong foundation of healthy lifestyle choices will. Yes, these compounds will somewhat alter your glucose profile and slightly curb appetite. But so also does healthy living.

Keep your dollars in your purse and get out there and live that life, not swallow pills.

Dr. Peeke

jas7145 replied to ralphebuoy's response:
Great reply ralphbuoy! I agree 100%. I would like to hear someone's reply who has or is trying both these supplements together since I have been thinking of trying this. I have been taking garcinia cambogia for 6 weeks and lost 13 lbs with zero exercise. I hate all the effete snobs who reply in condescending tones how supplements are a waste of money. It's my money and if I see benefits by taking them, to me that's all I need to know. I am a 68 year old engineer and I learned a long time ago that I am not as smart as I once thought.

tschwilliams replied to jas7145's response:
You can actually buy them together in one capsule! I just ordered some.

BabyBlueStar responded:
Hi....I am curious about using them together as well. I had been using Green Coffe Bean Extract (GCBE) for about8 months. In the first 4 months It helped me let go of 25 pounds. I noticed the longer I took it the less effective it was. I think my body was getting used to it. In all I lost 38 pounds in about 7 months with the help of GCBE.
A few things I noticed....Not all brands are equal. My Favorite ones were Coffeegenic from Life extension & The original genesis today one (not the one with Svetol). I tried using ones that cost less, but they did not work as well or did not work at all.

I just started taking Garcenia Cambogia a few days ago. So far the one thing I notice is GCBE gives better appetite control. I know the function of each is different so I was thinking of trying them together.
I came here because I was looking for HELPFUL feedback. So far I hear a lot of people telling you "oh it was on Oz...it must be fake" or "not all natural is safe" or "to lose weight just cut out calories". If everything Oz touted was fake he would not be around. Also...if cutting calories was so easy everybody could just do it...I for one have a VERY hard time with it. I need the appetite suppression to help.....and finally...YES, we know NOT ALL NATURAL IS SAFE.....we know that. But, is being overweight or obese good for our health...NO. That is wht I for one am trying to do something about it.
So if any of you "HELPFUL" people replying to this thread have any actual reasons why this is not good (you know, physical reactions or why they will react badly being used together) I would love to hear it.

Thank you for posting this question cajungal328 ...I will check back to see if you get any actual reasons yes or no. In the meantime, I think I will start & I hope I don't die from mixing natural supplements (can you hear the sarcasm)

SaraDibble replied to BabyBlueStar's response:
Thanks for asking this very question. I was wanting to know the same thing, could you take the two at the same time. I'm thinking it would be safe. So I've just started taking them both this week. So far I haven't had a bad reaction. I'll let you know if I do. I have PCOS, which makes weightloss EXTREMELY hard to do. I've tryed weightwatchers at the same time working out at the gym 4 hours a day 5 days a week for a year, and lost only 7 pounds in that year.( crazy I know) So in my opinion any help is good help. So good luck in your weightloss journey, I don't know how helpful this is, but there it is.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.