New To WebMD Diet Community
CathP posted:
Hi,

I am new to this community and am looking for support to 'stick with it'. I have 39 pounds to lose. I have lost weight before on the Ideal Protein diet but gained it all back + 20lbs!

I have to get back to a lean trim me for myself and my children. I anyone has tips or hints that help you stick with it on a daily basis please pass them along. I need to make a life change and it's always challenging.

Thanks!

CP

totallywiggedout responded:
The problem with most "diets" that lay everything out for you, and you have to OBEY them, is that they don't teach you the whys and hows to maintain. You don't learn anything from the diet because it's just like the food you are trying to avoid, it's just THERE so you consume it.
Take the time to fill in a food and fitness planner, here on webmd , fitday.com or wherever else you find one that fits you best.
log in your weight, height, etc and when it asks how active you are right now, put in the LOWEST possible choice. Doing this will allow for a better idea of how much exercise you should shoot for and how many calories to consume daily to reach your goals.
Then, go shopping.... don't buy anything just yet , just read the labels on the foods that you like or are interested in, then, find a better alternative. By actually reading how big the serving size is vs the fats,calories,sodium, sugars, etc and finding better healthier alternatives, you will be able to avoid some of the major pitfalls of beginning your healthier lifestyle. Knowledge is power, go empower yourself.
BONUS here is that pushing a shopping cart around a store for an hour burns about 80 calories, put in 50 or so lbs of dogfood that you will return to the shelf when finished will burn another 30 or so, lol.
Remember, foods on the outside aisle are usually the freshest, healthiest choices. All of the inner aisles are for fillers, fats and snacks that should be eaten in moderation.
Fresh fruits,veggies, and fresh uncooked meats are the best choices for the best health.
Eat a rainbow every day. White isn't a color. It's the absence of color. So avoid white breads, white rices, white pastas, and white potatoes. Try whole wheat item , IN MODERATION and within serving size recommendations and sweet potatoes as alternatives..
Switch to olive oil for some cooking, otherwise use 0 cal cooking sprays.... PAM or Crisco butter flavored spray can also be sprayed on air popped popcorn instead of butter to add some flavor.
drink the recommended 64 oz of water, or more a day.
Remember , you can't fail at this. It's not a test. It's your life. You may fall off the wagon, or whatever once in awhile, but you can't Fail. Not really. So just get back on the wagon and get going again.
you can do this .
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

CathP replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks! That is very inspirational! Tomorrow is the end of week one! I love the dog food idea! That is pretty funny!

I have started tracking my food and fitness using WebMD ... I like the way it breaks out your food into the parts, fiber, carbs, protein, etc...allows you to see what you need to work on changing.

-one day at a time to a new me

Then I will go shopping ... for new clothes!!!!!!

totallywiggedout replied to CathP's response:
Funny you say? About the dog food. I'm dead serious.... Take 2 25lb bags of dog food around the outside aisles of Walmart at a good clip, not running over other shoppers, but pretty fast, ok?
Do it for at least 1/2 an hour , more if you can, that should be something like 6 full trips around. Honey, you'll have sweat in the back of your hair and possibly running down your spine, lol.
I do this, I truly do. Especially on rainy days, as I HATE wet tennis shoes. It's a workout.
I have also been contemplating going to our 4 story hospital, and doing the stairs on rainy days. A couple of times up and down.... who needs a Stairmaster??
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Update, I did the stairs at the hospital, it's actually 6 flights and i pulled a boner and did 2 extra just "for fun" . lol I'm paying for it now.
k

Elizabeth80 responded:
First of all, you might want to say to yourself....What is it that I want....a fat body or a svelt one? The answer you get, will help to determine your conviction to stay on the diet.

Take a particularly nice dress you want to get into and keep that in mind if you feel you are going to slip. Do you want to really wear that? Or leave it hang in the closet to give away to someone else?

Next; Don't deprive yourself of any food you love. If you feel you really need something, have some of it. If nothing else, treat yourself on the week-ends only. Don't overdo it, but have some of them. Then get back on the regimen on Monday again.

Keep imagining yourself slim.....That's the best incentive I know. A slim body and ...BETTER HEALTH...to go along with it. Good Luck

lindseyjreed responded:
It sounds like your children are very important to you. As are mine! I'm working on losing 15 pounds right now, and have found that my kids have been an excellent source of inspiration for me. At the end of each week, I have listed on my calendar what my "reward" will be if I reach my goal of losing 2 pounds that week. Most of my goals involve my husband and kids. For instance, this week we will be going out for a (healthy) picnic at the park. This will not only serve as some family time where we can encourage each other's good eating habits, but will also allow for some extra activities, like playing catch or running around with our puppy! Even though the picnic idea does involve food, I have tried to stay away from rewarding myself WITH food. So, it may be having my kids help me decide which charity to donate $25 to, or giving each other shoulder rubs, or buying tickets to a local play...

Also, rather than going on a "diet," try focusing on incorporating health and wellbeing into daily life. It is very much a mental state... For instance, if I see a sugary dessert in the lounge here at work (which happens VERY often), rather than looking at that and saying to myself, "I can't have that," I say something like, "I could have that, but I'd rather have the hummus and carrots I brought for snack today." This helps me incorporate vitamin-packed calories (as opposed to empty ones) in addition to allowing myself the choice, then being able to mentally pat myself on the back for making the healthy one. Planning ahead and packing your own lunches and snacks for the day also helps you make the better choice.

I do use the Food & Fitness program (three weeks now) and have learned a TON about how many calories are in certain foods and drinks, how many (or few) vitamins and minerals I'm getting, and where I need to step up my game. And I LOVE watching those calories go back down after a good run!

Keep at it! You'll do great!

Anon_164246 responded:
It sounds like you are off to a great start. I know what you are going through. I yyoed between weight loss and gail it feels all my life but 3 years ago, I was able to take off and keep off 50 lbs. I'll warn you though - it wasn't overnight. Took me about 9 months to get there.

Something that helps me is to break up my goals. Instead of focussing on the 39 lbs, I would focus on losing 5 lbs. When I reach there, I reflect on what it took to get me there and I commit again to another 5 pounds cause I realize I actually can do it.

I am also very contrary because the minute I tell myself I can't (or won't) have something is the minute my craving for it gets the most intense. So I took my nutritional makeover in phases starting with additions. I tried to improve my nutrition by adding more of what I should have been having, and having them 1st to make sure I had them. So I didn't cut soda straight out at first but told myself I could only have it if I had a glass of water. I challenged myself to eat the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables. I told myself I can have the mid-morning snack, but only if I had a banana and yogurt. Or if I'm having a treat, I still try and use it as an opportunity to improve my nutrition so for e.g., if I'm making pancakes, I added ground flaxseed to the batter to increase the fibre. Even if I still have what I wanted to begin with, I tend to eat less of it.

Then I focussed on substitutions. Soy (or almond) milk instead of dairy. Popcorn instead of chips. Olive oil instead of vegetable oil. When baking, applesauce instead of oil or eggs.

Finally, remember that it is a commitment to a better life you are making, and in my case, it is a commitment I have to remake daily. It does get easier but for me, it is still not EASY. Even now 3 years into my weight loss journey, I still slip. I haven't totally gotten over emotional eating but I forgive myself and re-commit. Just like any other relationship. Some days are better than others but because you love your body (because you won't take care of something that you don't love), you always apologize after and try and make amends and do better.

I hope this is helpful and all the best with your goals.

CathP replied to totallywiggedout's response:
That's awesome! That inspires the creativity!
Thanks!

CathP replied to Anon_164246's response:
Thanks everyone for the support. I am using the daily food and exercise guide. It is encouragement for me to get up at 6:00 and fit in 30 minutes on the elliptical before the rest of the family wakes. I feel good being able to log the exercise and am ready to focus on the rest of the day's responsibilities (kids, work, husband, errands...) I'm on week two ... down 3 pounds ... It's nice to know others feel the same and have had success with the 'daily remake' ... Today I'm starting to have greek yogurt instead of my regular yogurt ... small changes over time...