Skip to content

Announcements

Are You Tracking Your Workouts?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
Tracking your workouts is a very effective technique for most people. If you're new to log-keeping, a couple of suggestions to help you get started:

-- Write an exercise schedule for the month. As you complete each session, note the duration and intensity of your workout. You can also add notes about other details that feel relevant or helpful — how you felt, music you listened to, any muscle pain or stress that you want to keep an eye on, etc.

-- If you are following your heart rate, keep a log of this as well. If you are a gear head, most of the heart rate monitors now plug into your computer, and you can track your numbers online and on your smart phone.

-- It is a great idea to try and get your friends into this as well, so you can share numbers. Bragging rights is a great motivator — no one wants to look like they are dogging it in front of their friends.

One caveat to all this is that for most of us any given routine gets stale after a while, and I will often alternate fairly long stretches of keeping a close track of my workouts, with periods where I am simply out there exercising but not writing anything down. But I always come back to writing things down after an interval off because it gets me right back to being honest with myself!

brunosbud responded:
In Dr. Lodge's bio I read the following:
"...
recognized as one of America's Top Doctors by U.S. News and World Report, and voted one of the Best Doctors in America by Castle Connolly..."

While "what foods to eat" and "which diet is best" dominates talk on WebMD Diet and Diabetes boards, what topic does Dr. Lodge choose to discuss?

E X E R C I S E

....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.