Skip to content

Announcements

Skinniest Country in the World.
bobby75703 posted:
South Korea is the skinniest country in the developed world. And I believe it. While waiting at the international airport I watched as flight crews left the airport. Korean airlines had the slimmest crew. Notably thinner. Made me do a double take.

So why not eat like the South Koreans?

brunosbud responded:
The country has become image obsessive. Plastic surgery is commonly being requested for children and teens, now. They perform weigh-ins at school. Fat discrimination is far worse than, here, in the US, bobby. With that said, despite the introduction of processed food in this culture, the country is sitting in the middle of the ocean. And, that means lots of good nutrition.

Note: You won't find many people who work in or around airports to be overweight, regardless of nationality. Any guesses why this is so?

fishingforanswers responded:
I agree that South Korea is amongst the skinniest countries in the developed world. I hate to be a 'stiffler' but isn't Japan skinnier than S. Korea?

Here's my source (Note that the difference is almost negligible)
http://slism.com/news/how-obesity-rates-measure-up.html

Yes! Korean Airlines does have a slim crew and so does JAL and ANA, international airlines of Japan. One thing to take in mind is the strict requirements that go into requiting airline attendants in most of Southeast-Asia. Talk about having to be a model.

Why not eat like the Japanese?

bobby75703 replied to brunosbud's response:
"You won't find many people who work in or around airports to be overweight, regardless of nationality. Any guesses why this is so?"

OK, I grew up in general aviation and I'm thinking..uh, the smell of jet fuel keeps them skinny? Weight and balance of the aircraft?

Whatever the answer is, There was a notable difference between the Mexican crew and the Korean crew. Nobody fat, but a notable difference. At least for the 2 hours I watched.

Now when I worked fueling aircraft on the general aviation side of an airport, I did note corporate jet pilots being notably overweight ( which you don't see with the airlines)

bobby75703 replied to brunosbud's response:
OK Brunosbud, I think I figured it out. Major commercial airports are spread out and employees have to walk longer distances. Hence skinnier employees.

brunosbud replied to bobby75703's response:
Yup, bobby. I would think they walk many miles, everyday.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.