Skip to content
New to the group
An_250074 posted:
I am new to the group and excited to have support! I am a 47 year old female, done with menopause and would like to lose 15 pounds I gained from quitting smoking, and "age". I need help with my sugar cravings, and my snacking I do if I have a beer now instead of a smoke.

I know I can do this!
totallywiggedout responded:
Hi an, I do hope that you aren't substituting a beer for EVERY cigerette that you used to smoke during the day....
anyhow, with the added calories, even light beer has em that you are taking on for the beer, you will have to make amends somewhere else. Best NOT to use beer as a substitute because that may become your habit and you'd just be using one bad habit for another.
That said, any alcohol is what most of us call, "empty calories". There is very little nutritional value vs the caloric intake. It's better to "spend' your calories with raw fresh veggies and fruits that will feed your body healthfully.
Quitting smoking takes alot of gumption, but you should maybe try to find a HEALTHY alternative to the smokes... like doing light exercise during the usual smoke break times.... walking up and down the stairs at work every time you would normally have taken a smoke break.... this will get you healthier and help you lose the extra weight.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
289 of 356 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.