Skip to content

Announcements

For The Love Of Donuts :)
LuvMySpencerPup posted:
As of today my donut days are over.

No more sneaking thru the Dunkin Donuts drive thru....nope, nadda... well....and then it starts again...the "maybe just one more" little voice creeping through and crumbling my will power.

So here I am joining a support group ... please take my car keys. LOL

To introduce myself : I am 57 years old, a wife of a retired military man, mother of 2 grown children and grandmother to 5.

I quit smoking 7 years ago and was on medication for MS symptoms that produced the side effect of weight gain.

So for the past 7 years I've mistakenly awarded myself with food for quitting smoking and combined with the meds side effect have put on 30 pounds I would like to lose.

Today is day number one...no donuts for breakfast.

That's a good start.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Luv, I used to do that, do the drive thru donuts while nobody was looking , lol.
So, you changed your morning plan, good for you. No donuts in the am is a great start. And even if you do nothing else for your plan for awhile, your health will improve just by giving up those donuts.
For now, I urge you to start a food and fitness planner. Plug in that you are the LEAST active choice for daily activity level right now. Doing this, the charting system will give you the best idea of how much exercise and how many calories to shoot for every day.
Log your food. Be as religious about this as you were about the donuts. Be honest in logging too. Noone else sees these charts, just you. You need to get your consumption down on the intake chart to actually SEE where the calories are coming from. EVERYTHING needs to be added, coffee creamers, oils that you cook with, tastes you take while cooking (add a standard 8 or so calories per tiny "taste"). Anything that's not literally a 0 cal item, needs to be added.
Then , like your donuts, just make simple, small choices to try to eat to feed your body and not your cravings, every day.
Drink the 64 oz of water a day. If you feel a need to snack, drink 16 oz of water first. Wait at least 10 min and see if you are still hungry. If so, find a crunchy fibrous snack, an apple, baby carrots or celery if it's between meals . Wrap the apple slices in very thin sliced turkey and you get the added benefit of protein which will keep you fuller longer.
Take a 20-30 min walk in the morning and another in the evening and you will be well on your way on your journey.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

LuvMySpencerPup replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim,

Thank you so much for your reply and your keen advice.

I will definitely start a food and exercise journal.

Yesterday turned out pretty well. I drove by our local Dunkin Donuts, started salivating and kept on going. I could just taste those yummy chocolate covered masterpieces, along with a loaded with sugar and cream iced coffee.

Instead I came home and snacked on slices of apple dipped in peanut butter.

Craving satisfied.

I also took a 30 minute walk around my neighborhood yesterday.

I think I put my neighbors into shock. I caught a few looking out their windows wondering who that strange lady was walking around their street. I've lived here for 10 years, who knew it would be me taking a nice stroll through the neighborhood

Ready for another day.

Hope your journey is going well.

Thank you again for your reply.

Stacy ( Spender Pup's Mom)

brunosbud replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Just trade baby carrots for maple bars? OK! Sounds fair to me...

LuvMySpencerPup replied to brunosbud's response:
Hi there Brunosbud....Good to meet you...

Oh for the sweet love of Maple Bars! I'm drooling over my laptop!

OK, back to reality....I'm not a raw carrots fan but I do find that celery topped with peanut butter and raisins ( my kids called it ants on a log) does the trick for a quick sweet treat.

Maybe I should try eating this in the doorway of Dunkin Donuts...get the sweet aroma but not the bulging Maple Bar, chocolate donuts hips.

Just a thought. LOL

totallywiggedout replied to LuvMySpencerPup's response:
Stacy, don't listen to Bruno.... lol, he's antagonizes EVERYBODY!
He does have some very good ideas though.
No it's not an even trade right off the bat. Maple bars or chocolate covered donuts always seem to taste better when you set rules about NOT eating them.
But once you start really adhering to a better eating plan, you will notice that you won't be so gassy, as fried foods seem to make you. You won't feel that greasy feeling on your skin, ditto fried foods. You won't hate yourself , and may even begin to LIKE yourself more.
I like that you are walking in your neighborhood. 10 years is a long time not to walk around where you live. But, walking, and neighborly neighborhoods, seem to be more the exception than the rule anymore, so I can see how you missed out on being "the walking lady" for so long. But now that you've started, let em envy you your determination and start saying HI to eveyone you meet, thus rubbing your newfound enegy in their lazy faces, lol.
Who knows, you may have stragglers following you out on your walks simpley because you've shamed them into doing something healthy for themselves.
Here's to a new day, every day.
huggs
k
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

brunosbud replied to LuvMySpencerPup's response:
Glad to meet you! Believe it or not, it is perfectly normal to have erotic fantasies of/with maple bars. No need to share it with the world, mind you, but don't feel shame, either. Welcome to the diet board and may you learn something new, everyday!

And, Kim is right, btw...I am up to no good!

Well now aren't you the clever one Brunosud, declaring you are "up to no good" right from the start.

Hope you are enjoying yourself.

LuvMySpencerPup replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Good day, actually Good Evening to you Kim,

I am fortunate to live in a great neighborhood where most of my neighbors walk at all times of the day. I was the hold out. LOL

I think most of them are shocked to see me out and about.

But....2 days in a row and actually waking up wanting to put on my tennis shoes and go for a walk has shaken the earth to it's core. Did you feel the shift?

Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of the Food and Exercise Log.

It was great to see the calories added on after I entered my walk < happy dancing>.

Well off for day 3's adventure.

Oh and I discovered a new treat today...air popped popcorn...a little goes a long way!

Hope you have a great day!

~Stacy~

totallywiggedout replied to LuvMySpencerPup's response:
LOL, Bruno doesn't just "declare" it, he OWNS it !
Stacy, good evening to you too. So glad that the walking bug has bitten you. It does feel good to get up and DO something in the AM doesn't it? I love my morning walk at the nature park. It's right on the way back from dropping off my bf at work so it's pretty easy to just park and walk for a bit.
If you really ARE doing those happy dances, make sure to add those exercises too, lol
Air popped popcorn is great isn't it? I like mine with crisco butter flavored cooking spray sprayed on while its falling into the bowl a little lite salt with a packet of stevia.... sort of sweet/salty like kettle corn.
The f and f log is just about necessary because people don't realize how much they actually put into their mouths every day. I absolutely HATED doing food "journals" because it was just too darned time consuming, but these online things are great since most of them have reg everyday foods already in the systems. Plus, I'll tell you, its great to see the lines on your weight graph go downward from month to month. You'll get there, you'll see what I mean.
But it sounds like you are rolling right along. I'm so happy that you are doing this for yourself.
huggs
kim

brunosbud replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hey! Easy, now...I'm "moderator-free".

Yippee-Kai-Yay!!!

Is that you Bruce?

~Stacy

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.