Skip to content

Announcements

Losing weight after breast cancer
IslandGirlSusie posted:
I am about 9 months post treatment for metastatic breast cancer. Currently I am in forced menopause. I am about 100 pounds overweight. Since my cancer was estrogen fed I am on oral Tamoxifen for a total of 2 years followed by another medication for 3 years. I have changed my diet to a mostly vegetarian one. I just really need encouragement to get up and move, Exercise more. I want to strive hard to become healthier. That is a major part of my goal. I would greatly appreciate any guidance and motivation with my diet and/or fitness.Thank you

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Susie. I'm glad that you are getting better and that you are taking your life back from cancer. Good for you.
Start a food and fitness planner here on WebMD. This will be a good guide to follow on how many calories and how much exercise to get every day.
Drink the 64 oz of water every day. Make small changes in your diet that you can live with.
Cut out all or most sodas and cut way down on salty foods and snacks. If you crave chips, make your own "baked kale" chips or slice up sweet potatoes and roast. Eat airpopped popcorn with butter flavored cooking spray (0 calories) instead of butter, and use lite salt if necessary.
If you are hungry between meals, eat the best , healthiest snacks possible. choose fibrous, crunchy types of snacks like apples, carrots and celery. Add 2 tblsp of peanut butter, some hummus or a couple very thin slices of turkey and you get some protein too, which will keep you fuller longer.
Before you cave for cravings, drink at least 16 oz of water, wait 10-20 min and see if you still want food. Your brain reads hunger and thirst the same, so if you think you want food, drink water first. Your body was probably thirsty, not hungry. If you still want something after the wait, have a healthy snack.
Eat to feed your body, not your cravings.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

brunosbud responded:
I know you're in a tenuous position but I advise patience and calm. In all situations that call for immediate change, it's the small steps that take hold. BIG CHANGES seldom work. This is why "diets" fail. This is why New Year's resolutions don't last. We are rational beings and there's complex justification for everyone's "madness".

The notion that we can make BIG CHANGES is to insult our own intelligence. For example,

I walk 6 miles, everyday. Therefore, I'm "permitted" to eat kettle chips...

I know it's an idiotic rationalization but, screw it. Me likee kettle chips. (I'm just thankful I'm not a diet soda freak. I'd hate to have to justify that.)

You know what bad foods you're eating. Jut keep portion size low, then, add frozen baby spinach, a little brown rice or some sweet potatoes & tomatoes, on top. Oranges or broccoli, anytime. This is how to convert your present toxic "favorites" into "defendable" selections. Kinda like facilitating change from the back door, if you will.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Go for singles. Bunt and advance the runner. Stop swinging for the fences. It's not about how much time (we have). It's about how much fun, right?

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.