Skip to content

Announcements

new to the forum
anuramesh posted:
Hello everyone I'm Anu - middle-aged mother of two hyper active girls. I have gained weight and also feel excessively tired in the past few days. The problem is i cant do real tough workouts - because i have a degenartive disc disorder of the spine; so i cant afford to do crunches or stretches nor lift weights. I'm a "perfect pear" shape. Can someone help me with diet suggestion and simple exercise routine? I'm a vegetarian.

Jackie_Ivy responded:
Hi Anu, join the club, pear shape here too (use to), with back problems as well. I am a pecevarian; Walk 30 minutes a day with weight strapped to your ankles, they have sand in them,start with 2 lbs, also use weights for each hand, i started with 2 lbs i know use 10 lbs. Drink plenty of water always Hydrate yourself. keep in touch

fishingforanswers responded:
Greetings Anu! You must have a lot of energy to be able to keep up with two hyper active girls. When it comes to losing weight and feeling more energized, there is no need to do tough workouts. If you are looking for a way to exercise minimizing the risk of injury doing water walking exercise or aqua aerobics works just fine.

anuramesh replied to Jackie_Ivy's response:
Hi Jackie! thank you for message. You lift 10lbs- inspiring. I seriously hope to find wonderful people like you to motivate.
Thanks a ton.

anuramesh replied to fishingforanswers's response:
Hi thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately the place where i live aqua aerobics is kind of difficult or rather might not be available.

totallywiggedout replied to anuramesh's response:
Hi Anu,
I have degenerative disc too, plus a crushed(and rebuilt ) left hip socket. lots of hardware.....
Losing a bit of weight is good for the back and walking is an excellant, low impact way to get going.
I also have some links to some very good , strengthening exercises that are for people like us. They are completely free and this isn't an advertisement for the sites, I just googled and found some that I liked, could do, and that work.
The seated one is my absolute favorite. Right off the bat, I found that I was walking aroung with better posture and after a month or so of doing it every day, my back was feeling better.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=42

Also, there is Tai Chi , which is very slow movement , low to no impact exercise. Great for people who suffer back problems or arthritis, or are older.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fz5U2uznZE

If you are looking for something like water aerobics, I urge you to look to a local rehabilitation center. Your dr can give you a recommendation for arthritis water aerobics pain maintenance, the classes are usually fairly cheap. Mine I payed out of pocket $35 a month and that covered twice a week classes. Maybe your insurance if you have any will even cover the whole cost if your dr prescribes it. I was only 45 and was in with a bunch of 70 and 80 year olds and had the best fun with it. That group of people was a hoot !
I hope you find my links to be something that you enjoy.
remember, any exercise counts , just get up and move.
huggs
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

anuramesh replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Oh Kim you seriously are God sent! I do feel the seated workout might be the thing for my back strengthning. for the past few days my back ache has been striking again, making me slow down in all my activities. Last summer the pain was chronic and an Ortho doc suggested i undergo a surgery for the spine. But a neuro surgeon clarified that i dont need one and instead gave me an Epidural - a steroid pain killer in the spine. Sometimes wonder if all this weight gain is due to the steroid!

And I live in the middle east, alternative medicine or therapies are restircted here. Even yoga classes are far-fetched!!
Shall surely include the seated core workout.
Thank you so much.

Hi Anu, it has helped me tremendously. When I started out doing the seated core exercises I couldn't walk upright for a block or two without my back aching, now I walk a mile and sometimes more. This isn't just your back it focuses on the "erector" muscles in your tummy AND your back. Working them together since , literally , one supports the other and vice versa.
huggs
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

anuramesh replied to totallywiggedout's response:
hi kim,
already started the seated workout, thank you so much for suggesting it. i'am also walking sometimes on treadmill for about 20 mins or if the climate permits brisk walking outside for about 30 mins. trying to eat sensibly too. I'm not a favourite of junk food nor can i eat bland food in the name of diet, but started taking smaller portions and eating brown rice instead of white. Eating atleast 2 or 3 fruits a day and included a sprout and veggie salad. hope this helps.

Hi Anu, glad the seated workout works for you. Sounds like you are well on your way with healthier choices too. Food never has to be bland. Add low salt or no salt spices to your foods like curry, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder.... etc and lots of herbs. Don't forget that fruits and nuts and diced veggies can be added to foods like stir frys , rice pilaf and cooked with meats to add flavor. There are so many ways to NOT eat bland "diet" food, lol
huggs
kim

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.