Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Trying to find the best diet for me
hannahj488 posted:
Not gonna lie, food has been my biggest enemy and as a result over the years I have gained a significant amount of weight. I am a 22 year old female who has struggled with my weight since I was about 16 years old before that I was actually really thin. I love to eat and love anything having to do with food and eating out but I don't like fast food. But, now being about 30 pounds overweight I would like to find some diets and exercise regiments that would help me lose this 30 pounds and keep it off. I was considering joining a gym. Paying a monthly membership fee would make me feel more willing to go there every day knowing that I am taking $35 out of my paycheck every month to stay committed to exercising and trying to lose weight. What I need help with is determining a food plan that I can stick with to try and lose 30 pounds. I want to lose about 2 pounds a week which I find is reasonable. I would like advice from people who have tried different diets and had success with them. I am not looking for short term results. I am looking at something where I will lose the weight and keep it off without gaining it back in like 6 months.

bobby75703 responded:
Hannah, I am no diet expert, but just had to respond to your post.

I think you made a good point when you said " something you can stick with" cause if ya can't stick with it, it won't last.

I have witnessed my 61 year old sister regain her teenage body back and maintain it for for years.

Her self prescribed diet consists mainly of meat and vegetables. She eats some fruit also, but mostly meat and veges. Absolutely no bread or sugar. NONE.

She gradually lost weight at 3 lbs per month till she lost 40 lbs...and kept it off.

She claims she isn't following any commercial diet. All self prescribed. I told her what she was doing is essentially called the paleo diet, or caveman diet. She said she had never heard of it before.

Her aggressive avoidance of sugar reminds me of sugar busters. She doesn't realize it, but her diet is a hybrid between paleo and sugar busters... and its working for her.

She has not altered her level of physical activity. Its all been 100% dietary changes. No gym.

Keany responded:
Just don't try to lose these 30 pounds fast, be patient if you want the results to be permanent. Low-carb diet is the best for weight loss judging by me own experience. Also you need to eat fruits and vegetables that burn calories - like grapefruits for example, drink green tea, water with lemon, aloe vera juice (more info ). Drinking at least 6 glasses of water per day also helps, and of course don't forget about exercising because it is also important.

PetuniaPea responded:
Long term weight loss =

Fruit
Veggies
Nuts
Seeds
Beans
Lentils
Whole grains (quinoa, brown rice)

Make these foods your friends, not enemies!

You can still keep these foods as enemies:
Sugar
Processed foods
Diet and regular soft drinks
Fast Food
Hmmm...restaurant foods keep to a minimum and think about portion sizes!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 241 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.